Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 98 zr 600 and it started over heating right away. The person i got it from said they just changed the antifreeze. You think it just needs to be bled or has other issues? The heat exchangers are not getting warm.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Probly just needs to be bled properly. I drained the antifreeze in my wildcat one time and had a hell of a time getting it to pump again. Had to just keep running it a few seconds and then add more antifreeze and the run it again ect. Eventually I got all the air out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured there was just air in the system. I took the thermostat out just to make sure it wasn't sticking. I just hope its not the water pump.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
get the front of the sled in the air and it will bleed out the air from the heat exchangers

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks will do. Are there bleeder screws on these cats or do i just need to take the coolant cap off?

·
Registered
308 Posts
^^^ Really the best way to do it, like said above, is to run it up on a snowbank with the nose in the air take the cap off and then fill it up again. That just get coolant all the way back to the rails and forces all bubbles up to the cap.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Or just tip your trailer so the sled is nose high.
Take the cap off , fill, run the motor, and repeat until the system is actually full.

Rick

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you have tried all of other suggestions and still have no luck, service the water pump. I had a heck of a time trouble shooting a ZRT once and it turned out that the impeller housing was stripped out and was slipping on the shaft.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm back at school now, so I'm going to dig into it when i get home for christmas break. The person just changed the coolant before I got it, I think it just needs to be purged.(I hope)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had same problem with my zr 500 when i rebuilt it and changed the antifreeze. what everybody is saying should fix it it worked for me 2 years ago Good Luck

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got back form school and tried to bleed and coolant and no such luck. It keeps overheating. I really don't to pull the engine and check the pump.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: I pulled the engine and the impeller was stripped out where it going on the shaft. I ordered an impeller and should be good to go.

·
Registered
776 Posts
+1 for me! [:)]

Glad to see you got it figured out. Check the shaft that the impeller rides on, make sure its not all rusted and pitted otherwise it may need replaced.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The shaft looked really clean and smooth. I ordered a impeller so i should be good to go in no time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
While your in there its a good idea to replace the impeller seal and o-rings as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts