Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need suggestions on a color scheme guys.

I really like what Iceman26 did to his rev.

[attachment=42531]

I am talking with someone now to get my hood painted possibly. I wanted to do the same as this REV but with red instead. The guy I'm talking too said the red would limit the depth in the hood (I'm thinking it is too dark of a color) and he suggested doing a ripped paper look with a gray plated metal look underneath. I like that idea, but I still wanted to go along with the red hood idea. He also suggested maybe a black and gray "bio-mechanical" design on it. I don't know if I'm as much in favor of that one.

Either way it will cost around $350 to get the hood custom painted. Do you think this is worth it? I plan on selling the sled this spring or next fall and I'm wondering if I'd get that back out on resale value (or at least a portion of it). Would people be more likely to buy it if the hood was like that and no red on the machine VS. just a red hood and other red accents? I want it to stand out...but $350 to stand out is a lot of money to me when I could spend it on performance parts.

Give me your opinion! Should I get rid of the red? If so that means I need to find black springs or paint mine red as well as get a different seat or seat cover!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
red does limit it but if its not what you want then go to someone else. also if your goin to sell it in the spring i wouldnt do it unless you find someone that would pay the price for it and likes the paint job cause someone could be interested in buying your sled but might not like the paint. so its a toss up

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Erick I think you should leave it as it is. You've done so much awesome work to that sled. Personally I think that the paint scheme would make the sled look really weird. I think that when you sell it though , the paint job will increase its value of about 200 dollars. Thats jut my opionon though. But all in all its your sled man!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I personally think that if you are wanting to keep the red hood, the best look would be a design like iceman26 has on his but with a metallic silver color. it would look like the paint is ripped off and all that is left is metal (I know the hood is plastic, but I still think it would look good) as far as the money goes, I really don't see why you wouldn't be able to get that 350 or a portion back. There's always someone out there that wants a custom sled but doesn't have the skills or patience to design/put the work into one, and would rather just buy a sled that already has the work done to it. just my .02

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You will never get out of it what you put in!! if you are 100% sure you aren't going to have the sled next year, i don't know if $350 is worth it. However with that being said, mine is at paint right now, but i plan to keep mine a few years [:D]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
erick are you still going with black side panels?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
awesome.. THats going to look amazing. A black and white or whatever IQ. Out of the ordinary. It will look awesome with that RMK seat....I tihnk its an RMK seat. Looks like a modified one i can't tell i aint a poo man.
Originally posted by erick
[br]Yes, it's going to have black side panels. I've already ordered them.

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
If I were you, I'd probably be in the same boat. On one hand, custom paint is always fun; gotta love makin' heads turn. On the other hand, if it's going to be sold in a year or so, why bother?

I guess if it were me, I would wait, and custom paint your next sled. [:)] It's been said that when selling a snowmobile, a 'stock' snowmobile is more appealing to the general public than that of a 'modded' one, though I'm sure exceptions apply. Yes, I realize this particular IQ still won't be 'stock,' but perhaps the stock look will still entice people, it's hard to say.

But yet I find myself saying, "A modified sled should run hot, as well as look hot." So yes, it is indeed a tough choice.

Good luck. [;)]

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Since your planning on selling it then maybe you should consider a nicely made graphics package instead of paint. Itll still turn heads, and if the new owner dont like it they can easily remove it.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]Since your planning on selling it then maybe you should consider a nicely made graphics package instead of paint. Itll still turn heads, and if the new owner dont like it they can easily remove it.
Unfortunately you never get your money back when you sell a modded vehicle, no matter what it is. I've lost my a$$ on alot of projects, but when they were mine they rocked. I agree with monsterjay about the graphics. A good graphics company can make some awesome graphics out of nothing at all. And they know what graphics look the best on what curvatures of the body if you know what I mean. Wouldn't hurt to take a picture of your sled to a graphics printer. They may just surprise you.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I really want the paint, but I don't really want to pay that much for something I'm not going to hold on to for too long. I'm sure from here on out I'll have a different sled every year so what's a guy to do... There just isn't a lot that appeals to me out there so it's tough to go with just graphics. I was thinking of just the 2007 Polaris dragon and "POLARIS" logo but then it would look too stock I think.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
pm going up over at snowest. he has done some hoods that look just like that. and his price is $150 plus shipping

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you plan on selling it, I would personaly leave it alone; But again its all up to you. Isn't it going to hurt to see the sled go after you put so much time and even more $$$$$ into it? In a way I can't blame you, I have a lot of $$$$ into mine and even I'm debating if I want to sell mine next spring to. Maybe there's just something wrong with us. [Twak][;)] Custom paint or not, the sled is going to be sick, good luck.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
After you did all that work to it your going to sell it??

I think you should just put a sweet decal set on it for now because its not worth paint ing it and only riding it for one season in my opinion. Save the money for your next sled and put a mint paint job on that.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, I wasn't going to get it painted but now the guy sent me an email this morning and said he'd do it for $250. "mechanical / metal theme on it (no skulls) with a black shred and red pinstripe".

Decisions, decisions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.