Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by Canadian Tire today and found Green High heat paint it looks just like the AC green so I pick up a can for $12.99. I bead blasted my pipe then painted it. Looks good here's a few pics.....[galleryattach=12700][galleryattach=12701][galleryattach=12702]

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
That's one hella bright pipe! Nice job though! [8D]

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
looks great but is that the dupli color 500 degree paint? if so i dont know how well it will hold up. If its a diffrent paint with higher heat rating what is it?

·
Super Moderator
11,689 Posts
Originally posted by snoproguy
[br]is there some kind of engine paint that can be used to paint a pipe?
Most people use 1500* paint (or so). There's an abundance in black for BBQ grills...that's what I've used. I know people have been using Dupli-Color High Heat Paint with Ceramic. That's good to 1200*, and available in about six colors.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've used the duplicolor 1200 on my pipes that were origionally ceramic coated and chromed and havent had a problem but I think that 500 degree stuff is meant to be an engine block paint, It looks great, but good luck keeping it from flaking off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'll see what happens we should get snow in my area by next month. I'll take the sled out a few times and take a few more pis of the pipe and post it here.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
That is one sick lookin pipe though!! I think you might have to go with the 1200 degree paint like articcatmatt did (and me...

·
Registered
764 Posts
ya sweet looking pipe, to bad its gonna burn right off though. Would be killer if it would stay like that!!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Agreed, Unfortunately anything under 1200F wont last long at all, even the 1200F I put on only last one season, until some flaking etc..

Looks way awesome color man...Enjoy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by mortizzle
[br]I bought that same stuff last year. Drove the sled once before I blew a ring and the pipe is already turning brown.
Well that sucks for me. I guess I'm going to repaint it with the right high temp stuff but I don't think I will do it this year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i painted my pipe on saturday with 500 degree paint. started bubbling pretty bad after about 5 minutes. had to sand them all down again and painted with the 1200 paint. i saw that green high temp paint in the store yesterday, i thought they had it in 1200 degree also. i wouldn't even waste your time putting it on and trying it out unfortunately. i found out the hard way, at least you have a sand blaster.

·
Premium Member
15,520 Posts
Originally posted by kilabeez0
[br]i painted my pipe on saturday with 500 degree paint. started bubbling pretty bad after about 5 minutes. had to sand them all down again and painted with the 1200 paint. i saw that green high temp paint in the store yesterday, i thought they had it in 1200 degree also. i wouldn't even waste your time putting it on and trying it out unfortunately. i found out the hard way, at least you have a sand blaster.
Thats what I would expect to happen if you painted the actual pipe and not the pipe cover when using 500 degree paint.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Im a painter by trade get some spray can paint stripper and remove the paint this paint will not hold up your pipes see temps from 1175f to 800f you could have a fire if you would like a sharp looking set of pipes jet coat them silver looks good and better power to boot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.