Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever painted there own skid rails..i want do paint mine on my zrt if so what kind of paint would last on there a long time with out having to paint it every season

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Do any stock rails come painted or can you get after market skids that come painted?!
If there is, my guess is that they have been powder coated?

If not, I would say there is a reason why!?!

Just my thoughts. I think I would save my time and money for other aesthetics on your machine.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
A paint will not hold up very long to the abuse the skid will take. If you want it another color, get it powder coated. Powder coating will also wear over time, but will hold up MUCH better than paint will.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Wouldn't the intense heat of the powder coating process possibly warp the rails?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
ive seen tons of powdercoated rails and ive never heard of any problems from it i painted mine this summer and it its deffenetly gonna need to be re done its got quite a few chips

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I've done a few rails and they still look like new after a couple of seasons on them.
The heat does not affect the rails at all.

This is the skid out of my 07 Rage.
201022320421195_11185.jpg

The skid out of my Switchback.
201022320525711_11185.jpg

The skid out of the Zoo's boss's sled.
201022320637679_11185.jpg

88400 said:
greasemonkey said:
I've done a few rails and they still look like new after a couple of seasons on them.
I heard that at the 450* heat powder coat is cured at it can realign the particles in the aluminum causing it to become almost brittle? Or something to that effect.
The powder coating only requires 400 degrees for 20 minutes. You won't really change the molecular structure until you hit much higher temps. Thats what I've been told by other people that powder coat for a living.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
greasemonkey said:
I heard that at the 450* heat powder coat is cured at it can realign the particles in the aluminum causing it to become almost brittle? Or something to that effect.

The powder coating only requires 400 degrees for 20 minutes. You won't really change the molecular structure until you hit much higher temps. Thats what I've been told by other people that powder coat for a living.
Good to know. I've spent a good amount of time looking for low temperature cure powder, with not much luck. I plan on buying home kit from eastwood to do some stuff myself.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
88400 said:
greasemonkey said:

Good to know. I've spent a good amount of time looking for low temperature cure powder, with not much luck. I plan on buying home kit from eastwood to do some stuff myself.
Good beginner kit but you will need a good sized oven to be able to do rails or bigger items.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Powdercoat the Metal part's, and Anodize the rail's themselves.

Of course send the metal part's to greasemonkey for the Powdercoat.

Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts