Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the season is comming to an end, I got my eyes on some peformance mods to keep my busy this summer. I have a 98 Polaris XC 700 right now, I was thinking about adding V-force reeds, changing jets, adding a boost bottle, a tuned pipe and silencer, and something along the way of possible even doing some work with porting or something. What would I be getting next season as a pay off for all this work, like a number value of horsepower. The guy I got it from told me he had the clutch weights changed over, it engages around 4200 RPM's, would you recomend changing that?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
all that would gain you a lot, we can get you everything you need,, slp, simons pipes, epi clutch kits or custom kits. trail porting,
i rode a sled before and after trail porting and custom clutch kit and man, that thing woke up like you wouldnt believe. nice thing on the port job, the bottom of the ports he left stock, if your buddys look down your spark plug whole they wont see the port work. that would do magic to a single pipe with the other stuff.
if you start off with an honest 120 hp stock, i would guess close to an honest 130-140, depending on what single pipe, these hp numbers sound low compared to whats in the advertised adds, but they are real numbers, engine hp is less important than track hp. for the summer put your sled on the stand, take the suspension out, track off drive axle off. belt off. spin the jack shaft, how smooth does it spin, doest the brake disk rub, same on drive axle, put it in, how nice does it spin, can it coast to a stop or does it just stop. get them rolling nice, put your track back on, do the rear wheels rub the lugs, or is there room for the track to move a little side to side. you can add little shims. is the track to tight does it roll hard, this stuff adds up fast, sounds stupid, but when you can beat a lot of sleds 20 hp more than you it must mean something.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, what madcow said.
You have a good power plant to start with, a 98 xc 700 has some good stock power. The inernet is a good place to get good used pipes cheap keep that in mind. Everything you mentioned will help, they build on each other. The only thing I wouldn't buy is the boost bottle, alot of people have them but I haven't heard anyone say that they have helped.
jmo

Oh yeah, clutch! clutch! clutch! This is the most important mod, getting the power to the track!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts