Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a post here about my GF riding my buddies sled, sled tipped and throttle went wide open. From what I know now, the reed on the Mag side exploded. Sled had 140 on PTO side, 70 on blown reed side. This sled, a '01 600 MC EFI, has over 3000 miles and nothing has ever been inspected on it. And he rides it hard. The power valves have been cleaned once since new. To store the sled, he puts some tranny fluid in the pistons, pulls it over a few times and puts it in the corner of the shed. These are stock reeds. My thing now is this, this is a mechanical failure, am I or my GF responsible? A frindship and sledding buddy are at stake, but don't want to be forced to pay for a motor because of a $13 part.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
One question, did she ask to ride the sled or did he offer her to take it for a ride.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
You yourself (or the description was posted) that the machine ran fine, then was rolled upside down and ovverreved at WOT and then it rode crappy on the way back. Sounds pretty conclusive to me.

Finally, like the guys on snowest said...
YOU DON'T take someone else's sled without taking FULL responsibility. I'm sorry, but if that was my sled I would be pi$$ed that you were trying to weasel me into getting stuck with the bill for something that you and/or your GF did to it. You need to work something out with him, or else you don't care that much about the friendship. If I did that to my buddies sled I would be over in the next few days with parts and a case of beer and fix it for him in his garage.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Where I come from you break it you buy it. Pay for it you can hold it over your head you did what was right even if he was wrong. Was this topic over on snowest it seems familiar?

If I am reading this right...Is it just the reed that is toast? If so replace the reeds, fill up the gas and oil, and buy him a case of beer as replacement. Thats how I handled a situation with a buddy when I rolled his sled and broke off the windshield.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
as stated above fix it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd
[br]You yourself (or the description was posted) that the machine ran fine, then was rolled upside down and ovverreved at WOT and then it rode crappy on the way back. Sounds pretty conclusive to me.

YOU DON'T take someone else's sled without taking FULL responsibility. I'm sorry, but if that was my sled I would be pi$$ed that you were trying to weasel me into getting stuck with the bill for something that you and/or your GF did to it. You need to work something out with him, or else you don't care that much about the friendship. If I did that to my buddies sled I would be over in the next few days with parts and a case of beer and fix it for him in his garage.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
[br]
Exactly. Thats why I dont like riding someone else's stuff. My buddies are always offering to let me ride their quads and dirtbikes and Im always like, "No thanks...".
Bottom line, if you borrow someone else's machine and it breaks (especially in this case), you owe it to that person to make things right with them. You cant just leave them hanging.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I had to reread this five times and I still don't get it. Was the compression that far off before or after she rode it? Am I just retarded? When you say "sled HAD 140 on pto side, 70 on blown reed side" I assume that was the compression before it went WOT. If it were "sled now has 140 on pto side,70 on blown reed side" then you owe the man a engine.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Originally posted by butcher_boy
[br]I had to reread this five times and I still don't get it. Was the compression that far off before or after she rode it? Am I just retarded? When you say "sled HAD 140 on pto side, 70 on blown reed side" I assume that was the compression before it went WOT. If it were "sled now has 140 on pto side,70 on blown reed side" then you owe the man a engine.
That is the way I read it. I bought a yz125 motor after riding my fiends bike for less than 5 minutes. I also learned.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
[br]You yourself (or the description was posted) that the machine ran fine, then was rolled upside down and ovverreved at WOT and then it rode crappy on the way back. Sounds pretty conclusive to me.

My thoughts exactly.
It is your girlfriends responsibility to fix it or pay to have it fixed.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My feelings are ; if you ask someone to use their stuff and you break it you are fully responsible. BUT , if they ask you to try it out and you do then they are responsible. Responsiblity lies in the persons hands who initiated the ride.
My 02 for what its worth.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Originally posted by tripplethret
[br]One question, did she ask to ride the sled or did he offer her to take it for a ride.
legally that how it goes ^. but i feel like the others here, you break it you buy it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
my dad always said ... never borrow something cause something will go wrong .. and if you do .. always return it in better condition than you borrowed it ... you gain a lot of trust and respect that way ... as stated above .. i'd say you have a motor to fix ... between u and ur buddy i would think you could do it yourself ... whats a few hundred bucks compated to a friendship and snowmobile buddy!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
tough call, put ur self in ur buddies shoes, you would make the perosn whop broke it fix it right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts