Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so the other day i was out on Run Around Pond Durham, Maine. I have a 2003 Pro X 600 with PERC (Polaris Electronic Reverse Control just in case u didnt know) only mod is a dynoport can and 144 pics. I lined up with a 2004 pro x 600 that also had 144 pics no engine mods that i know of. We did a rolling start so we both could hook up pretty good on the ice. I kept up with him for a bit but he started to pull a one or two sled link ahead of me. When we got back he ask if i had PERC which i do. He said that his sled had it and he took it off because it slowed him down. I just wanted to know if this is true that PERC does slow you down. Sorry for the long post.Thanx

·
Registered
821 Posts
It doesnt - it's BS

·
Registered
123 Posts
the only differance is the secondary clucth. and a bit of wireing as far as i know

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
b.s......that sled came stock w/ a roller secondary,so only difference is wiring harness and a different cdi box,oh yeah the tach has a warning light.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yeah there is no difference at all but just remember that yours was put on by somebody because the 03 did not com stock with PERC. Chances are that you have a little different clutch set up then he does. There might just be a little different curve in the timing to not quite sure of the exact differences between years. I know that if you put Perc on 02 800 RMK you will loose power due to the fact that the 02 had a more aggressive timing curve then the 03-05 edge chassis. Like I said though my guess is clutching is just a little different.

JM2,
DW

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx. On mine it did not come stock with the sled from the factory. the guy that owned it before me, bought it and put on. Like i said in the post not sure if the 2004 pro x at any cluthching or anything else don to it. My sled engages at 4000 rpm i think that were it should be

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Team secondaries do not get as good a backshift as the button clutches do, also harder to tune, there is a difference, but you cannot run perc on the button secondary.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Your clutching is stock, but a can will make a dif in sled they slow you down comaped to stock, did you run with him numrous times or just once?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by mdmaniac
[br]Team secondaries do not get as good a backshift as the button clutches do, also harder to tune, there is a difference, but you cannot run perc on the button secondary.
Huh??? A few weeks ago I was at a Polaris dealer in NE Wisconsin and they had an '07 SuperSport sitting in the snowroom and it had PERC on it. I highly doubt a SuperSport has a roller secondary on it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have always been under the impression that roller secondaries of any brand backshift much better than a button secondary ever will. They are more expensive to tune, as helixes are far more expensive, but in the end, a well tuned roller setup will be much more efficient than a button. Roller clutches may take a mile or two off the top end, I have seen many debates over that question, and I don't think its worth bringing up again, but a roller, with has much less friction, and is able to run much higher spring pressures, and the roller allows much steeper helix angles leading to a quicker backshift.

As for the supersport, the polaris website lists it as having the tss-04 lightweight team secondary.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Every sled with PERC has a roller secondary in it, they have to for it to work. They also have to contain a ER helix which has a cut in the back slope for the rollers to catch on. The roller clutch as stated above does backshift much faster and much harder then a button clutch ever will.

DW

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So does that mean that my sled has a roller secondary, i belive that is what it is. For a clutch kit it didnt make one for a 03 pro x with perc so i ask my polaris dealer and they said that the 04 (which they do offer a clutch kit for perc) would work with my sled so that would mean that the clutches are the same or have the same components

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
There is a disadvantage to having a roller secondary (not a team persay) vs a button...could just be a tunability factor, i sound like an idiot sometimes [:)]

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been told by a few that even though the TEAM secondaries have a stronger, faster backshift they are not as fast on the top end as the button secondaries due to the 10% overdrive that they have.

I have had problems with mine lately though. I have about 2700 miles on it and both the movable bushing on the secondary as well as the bushing on the helix are shot causing the everything to bind up. I have noticed a decrease in performance due to this.

What I have been told is that because it is a twin roller secondary, it gives the clutch the ability to wobble from side to side causing premature bushing failure. I have heard that there is a 3 roller secondary coming out but I doubt it'll be a change-up, probably cost some good $$$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts