Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what it takes to put PERC on my 02 Edge X 800. I have mechanical reverse on it now and it's a pain in the @$$. I heard that on older models that PERC isn't put on from the factory, it doesn't spin the oil pump backwards so obviously the engine isn't getting oil. Could i put on a newer oil pump that would spin backwards? Or am I just dreaming?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
For your sled, it is a lot more work because you have to get a different flywheel, re-program the CDI, get a different secondary clutch (I assume you're using a button clutch), and do a bunch of other small things A lot of the 2003 and newer sleds already had the different flywheel, roller clutch, etc...so it was mostly just a matter of re-programming the CDI, changing a section of the wiring harness, and adding the button.

·
Registered
390 Posts
At least I'm not the only one who has thought of doing this.

I tried to do that last year on my '01 600. Probably the most expensive thing you'll need is a roller secondary with a reversable helix. You'll have to get the new left plastic handlebar block with the PERC button on it. You'll also need the new computer with the PERC settings programmed into it(I think, not 100% positive), and the reversable oil pump, along with a bunch of other stuff you probably wouldn't even know you needed.

I didn't go ahead with the plan because:
1. It was a lot of money
2. The dealer hadn't done a PERC conversion on an '01 before, and
seemed hesitant about trying it
3. Polaris did not make a specific kit for an '01 600.

I believe they started making PERC retrofit kits starting with '02 models. I would say your best bet is to either check out the Polaris Accessories home page and see if they make one for an 800, or call your dealer. If they don't make one, your dealer may be able to say go or no go on whether you can piece a retrofit together.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I started checking into this last year. From what I have read it can and has been done. Easiest way is to buy the kit polaris sells for your sized sled. The kit will include a roller secondary (xc kit has polaris roller, rmk kit has team roller, pro-x kits I dont think include the secondary as the sleds came with a team clutch), the handle bar switch for controling the perc, a new wire harness, cdi, oil pump & tach that has a reverse light. You will also need an 18 degree flywheel from an 03 or newer sled. There is also a pawl in the recoil that you should replace, if you were to pull or even bump the starter rope while running in reverse without it you will make a big mess out of your recoil. I talked (via email) with a guy form another site that did it on an 02 xc 500 and he said he had to change the routing of the new harness vs the old harness and had to lengthen an couple of wires, but he got it all to work. I bought the perc kit for my 02 500 edge x but I havent had the time to get it installed yet (having a year and a half old child tends to limit your free time). I probably wont get to it until this summer now. There are usually perc kits on ebay. Prices seem to be less than dealer list price too. If you're serious about doing it I would suggest seaching the forums here, HCS & Snowest. I found enough info to make me buy the kit and hopefully someday get it installed. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Look on ebay for a kit for an 800, the only other thing you need to get is an 18 degree flywheel from an 03 or newer 700/800, p/n 4010677. I picked one up at als snowmobile salvage for one of my projects. The kits include everything else you need, just plug and play. Word of warning on the clutch though, the polaris roller is a fine clutch, but not many choices out for springs and helixes, and even fewer choices for helixes that will work with perc. Another thing on the oil pump, I've not yet determined if the different oil pump thing is true for big blocks. I know its different on small blocks though. Let me know if you have any more questions, I've done the conversion on four different sleds now, none of which had a kit specifically designed for it so it is possible.

·
Registered
492 Posts
if he has mech revese on it now, will he still need a different secondary? jsut wondering

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The PERC causes the engine to run backwards to move in reverse. There is an extra gear set that changes the driveline direction in the mechanical reverse, but the clutches still move forward. He will need a secondary that can operate backwards (the primary doesn't care what direction it's turning).

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure where I can get a cheap Team roller secondary. Right rocket?[:)]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts