Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I looked for an upgrade coil system and couldn't find anything. I'd like to find a coil that provides multiple spark or at least a more effitient spark. Do you guys know of any that are made? This would be for my 96 rxl but if I found one and noticed a difference I'd probably do my 400 too.

Don't know if some of you have seen this thread, I'd like some opinions on it.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56190

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I don't know how much multiple spark would help. Doesn't seem like a reasonable upgrade to me. I know on all recip aircraft engines they have to spark plugs so it burns better but I don't see anything creating a better spark....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Creating multiple sparks? This occurs during the discharge of the coil and the resistance of the wire and plug lengthen the time over which it occurs. There was a very good article explaining what changing the resistance does to the spark of a sparkplug. It was on a forum dedicated to ultralite aircraft. I wish I could remember the name of the site.

You need to be very careful about changing coils in a CDI system. I had researched this over the past couple of months, and read a couple of instances where an incorrect Accel coil was recommended by a dealer selling them to a cyclist. It ruined his bike's CDI system, and the whole system needed to be replaced. The coil has to match the system.

I looked at that thread, but the fellow is so unforthcoming, I am not going to take a chance. If you want a hotter spark, replace the resistor cap on you sled's sparkplug wire. You are losing 5k Ohms and this will increase the intensity of the spark. If you are worried about the RFI you can buy copper mesh and solder it into a covering for you CDI box to protect it.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post kusko. I upgraded to ngk wires last year with attached plug boots, that'll have to be all I do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.