Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a B&B Eliminator for my 1998 XLT Limited, it sounds great, good tune to it. No triple pipes will fit my machine I think, I have the evolved chassis.

Any tips on how I can upgrade this sled to a good performer would be helpful. Thanks.

Take it easy!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
dude...put it on to find out how it sounds

the best improver would probably be a clutch kit

---------------
FOR SALE: 91 Polaris Indy 500 SP...check my profile for more info and pictures

·
Registered
277 Posts
It will be slightly louder with a real nice deep tone. Better than that big bazooka muffler you have now. Try it! You'll like it! If you have lots of money laying around, check out SLP's web site. They make triples for your sled for a mere $631.00 !! Ya right!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! The B&B should be here soon.
MAYDAZE, I have the Evolved chassis, do you know if the Triple Pipes will fit into this chassis?

Take it easy!

·
Registered
322 Posts
OH...they're nice. We have them on our three MXZ's...and well..they scream. Not sure exactly what they would do on your sled, but it should sound nice. My uncle has on on his '98 ZL 500...also sounds nice. My dad always says we sound like a swarm of hornets comin through. They scream.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!! (I might seem like it, but I'm not. Anyways I don't think so.)
The Sled I Ride
2002 MX Z 800 X Yellow/Black

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have been told that the problem with getting pipes for my XLT is that bump in the front of the engine bay is too hard to bend pipes over. The bump is for the extra shock travel on the Xtra-12. I guess they only made pipes for a few years and then quit.

That's the story I heard anyway.

This is my first NCP (Non Cheap Post) this week.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, I didn't see any bump.. but yeah the Xtra-12 is damn comfortable.
Im thinking about putting 96 studs too, and then an EPI Clutch Kit.

Take it easy!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about Plastic skis? Big difference or no?
I was also thinking about putting 38mm carbs on it but I heard I could be looking at like 3-400 bucks per carb. Would this be an advantage?

How about an SLP Airbox?

Take it easy!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just put the B&B on, and it sounds pretty good, has a more deeper note and doesn't have a big rumble to it anymore just a louder bark.
I will let you guys know what it sounds like when its down on the snow.. :p

Take it easy!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think plastic skis are a huge improvement. Smooter in the bumps. Better flotation. Lighter weight.

I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Try Black Magic Pipes, they should work, and the Black Magic Heartthrob clutch kit is very good, i've got a Black Magic helix and it works very good.

If it ain't broke,
change stuf till it is.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heh ya ZRT 600 thanks anyways man.
I will look into the plastic skis... thanks guys!
If you can get me any info about how to soup it up or what to buy, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Take it easy!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey xlt! Sorry about not getting back to you sooner on the pipes. SLP's website lists the pipes for 98 & 99 XLT's but it doesnt say what model. The limited, evolved body, or special, aggressive body. Give them a call and see what body they fit. I have a feeling that they are for the aggressive body. Good luck.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Do the clutching, that will bring up the power a lot.

If it ain't broke,
change stuff till it is.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello to all. I am new to the forum, but have been reading your posts for the last couple of weeks. I thought I would register since it seems like this is a vg forum...... Anyhow to the post at hand. I think that a simple tweak in the clutching of the xlt really wakes it up. I have a 98 xlt ltd in the garage with 2k miles. Last winter I did a couple of minor clutch upgrades to it and it is now a different machine. All I did is change the primary from stock gold to light blue. This kicked my engagement up to around 5g. I also changed my helix from stock 34 to a 36 degree cut. It again improved the bottom end snap. I currently have on order a 38/34 radial cut helix, as I found a 38 straight cut did mot backshift as nicely as I thought it should. Just my opinion, but I am very happy with these simple changes. Sorry for the long post, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. Thanks

S

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry I never mentioned I was talking about the spring in my primary, I just took it for granted people would know what I meant. Sorry if this caused any confusion....

S

·
Registered
36 Posts
SLP pipes are great but make to many rpm's so you will have to clutch. Try gutting air box and re jetting. also if you want more out of your sled ditch the can its sounds good butt you lose top end. i agree with sno x clutch kit is the way to go

P H R

·
Registered
777 Posts
greezemonkey
welcome aboard,in my 97 xlt .use this as a reference , i ran a 48-34,i have no idea how much you play with sleds but the 48 is for faster up shift and the 34 is for back shift. if your looking for a better back shift you,ll need a stronger secondary spring.i was using a hot seat white . 42-64 i think, .also had a hot seat black pri.130-300. work well. Oh ,by the way,mine has 10k,never opened.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the information greezemonkey, I will print that out and make a reference to it and bring it to my dealer, and see what he can do.
I was going to switch from the gold stock spring to the blue spring, but if i just buy a EPI Clutch Kit will that be better?

BTW, what does backshifting mean?

Take it easy!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts