Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some information on the new Phazer engine.

I'm working on a senior design project in which we build a Formula race car. It's not a Formula 1 race car. much smaller and cheaper ;).

I need to know the weight of the engine and maximum torque and horsepower in stock form. Does anyone know where I can get a dyno sheet?

Where could I buy just the engine? Any ball park on prices?

The limitations to our engine are the following:

610 cc or less
4 stroke
must use a 25mm restrictor plate
cannot be turbo chaged from the manufacturer, but we can turbo charge it on our own.
can run on E85, pump gas or 110 octane racing fuel.

I'm also considering the KTM 520, so if anyone else has any information about that engine, speak up!

thanks,

Kyle

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Contact yamaha. They might help you out if you can show what that engine has to offer. You can super or turbo it and get just about twice the horsepower out of it to bring it up well over 100 horsepower. Sounds like a cool project, keep us posted.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We've run one for the last few years. They are pretty good motors. Everyone runs them. Problem is they are heavy. We want to build a very light and nimble chassis with a torquey, simple and lightweight motor. The car we've got right now has a F4i engine in it. It does okay... 0-60 is about a second slower than what we want it to be... Right around 4.5 sec. It is fun though because it's got really long legs. 100 mph with lots of room and a few gears to go. Starts to dart a lot at high speed with it's 60" wheel base!

The top speed we reach in the competition is about 70 mph. We hardly even get out of first gear... We need low end, usable torque. There also really isn't a straight stretch. Just a TON of turns in a 10 foot wide course...

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not with a 25 mm restrictor plate! The horsepower isn't a problem with the rocket motors. If we were just looking to build the fastes straightline machine, we'd stick with the F4i that we've got in the car right now. However we are trying to build an autocross car that is quick in transition. The lightest weight engine that we can find that has reasonable power is the way we are going to try to go. We're even considering using a single cylinder yamaha 450 cc bike engine.

If we go with the phazer engine, we'll have roughly 2/3 of the weight of the bike and about 3/4 of the horsepower, and more torque available earlier.

The biggest problem after weight with those rocket engines is the lack of torque down low. You have to be above 7 grand to get into the power band.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Budget allowing, I guess I would consider a late model two stroke 250 motocross mill. Im guessing its going to have similar HP, be significantly lighter, and probably cheaper and easier to find than that 4 stoke your considering. They have been running them in go-carts for years. All the shifting,starting, cooling materials you need are readilly available and well developed.

Are you using the the go cart track up at BIR for testing this?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^will do. I'll take some pics of the current car at our next track day... not sure when that'll be, but hopefully soon. Open cockpit is COLD. Especially when you can't wear your snowmobile gear!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by SortaStock
[br]Not with a 25 mm restrictor plate! The horsepower isn't a problem with the rocket motors. If we were just looking to build the fastes straightline machine, we'd stick with the F4i that we've got in the car right now. However we are trying to build an autocross car that is quick in transition. The lightest weight engine that we can find that has reasonable power is the way we are going to try to go. We're even considering using a single cylinder yamaha 450 cc bike engine.

If we go with the phazer engine, we'll have roughly 2/3 of the weight of the bike and about 3/4 of the horsepower, and more torque available earlier.

The biggest problem after weight with those rocket engines is the lack of torque down low. You have to be above 7 grand to get into the power band.

Thanks for all the help and advice!
My roomate was a Mech. engineering major in college and was on the team that did the race cars for MSU (Michigan State) I was jealous then and still am!! What a blast, he had some fun doing that over the years.

As for the cart, could you adjust the final drive gearing to get you closer to the bottom end that you wanted with the motor you already have?

Also, if you need a test driver just drop me a PM [;)]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.