Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my issue. I came home from Europe and to my suprise we had 8" of snow. I start up the sled and take off. It is running very good and I'm having no issues with it. I hit a couple of drifts and some snow got under the hood, no big deal. I finish riding and ket her sit outside. Around 6 hrs later, I start to ride her again. This time, things are different. Half the time when I push the flipper, she doesn't want to kick in. All she does is go to half power with no acceleration. Once and a while she kicked in but it didn't last. It backfired a couple of times during the hour I rode it. My dad suggested that the linkage might be a bit sticky (throttle) due to the snow. It was working fine before... Any ideas? Is there any way to try to do a simple fix before I have to take the carbs off? I have not cleaned a carb before so I want to do that last. I put new head gaskets on over the summer if that has anything to do with it... Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
could it also be the fact that I'm really low on gas? I only have like a 3/4 of an inch in the tank. I don't have any more gas to test it out. Also, I pulled the plugs and they seem to have a little gold color on them. Does this mean anything?

·
Registered
24 Posts
put it in a heated garage overnight. there's probably just a bunch of ice in your induction system. if my sled gets snowed on or i go through a bunch of powder and then ride for a short time and shut it down, it does what you're describing. freaked me out the first time 'cause it suddenly had no balls at all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The heated garage is definetly a good idea. You may have sucked some snow into the carbs and clogged up all your air jets which would probably make it bog from running rich. Most airboxes I've seen have small holes in the bottom to drain water out if it gets in, but you might want to take the top of the airbox off just in case (since the water will obviously make the sled run crummy). It doesn't look like your sled has an actual air filter, but if it does it may have snow packed on the filter which is blocking your airflow making you run rich.

Low gas could be the problem. That is how my sled dies when it runs out of gas... it will run fine at low trottle but when I gas it it just bogs like it's ready to die. My sled will run like this for a couple of minutes before it finally dies (ah hem..don't ask how I know about my sled running out of gas and dieing at 2:00 in the morning when I'm 2 miles from nowhere and I forget my cell...). You said you rode for an hour though right? Was it having problems the whole time? If so it wouldn't be the gas since you would have run out.

If you havn't cleaned your carbs before I would strongly suggest you do it. Once you get to know them it's not so bad (they really aren't that complicated) and you will find it solves 90% of your problems. It's amazing how much better a sled will run when the carbs clean and properly tuned. Take some time and read up on how carbs work if you havn't allready, that will make it easy to work on them and tune them. Find out the proper settings (jet sizes, air screw, etc) before hand. They can be found in the service manual for your sled in you have one, you can call the dealer and ask, or you can post on here... I'm sure someone on here knows.

Mikuni VM round slide carb manual:
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf
This manual talks about how the carb functions even though you dont have that model on your machine (looks like you have butterfly style carbs on your sled not slide, so you dont have a jet needle).

Good luck!

seven

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could the carbs just be out of adjustment? My dad fiddled around with the pilot screw and he when he hit the throttle,it took off like a shot. It had no mid-range so we kept on adjusting but we gave up for now.It revs real high now and smokes a lot of white smoke. Do you think this was the issue? What is the standard setting for the idle screw?

·
Registered
123 Posts
FROOOOZZZEEENNNNN

·
Registered
123 Posts
ps ur a heat bag if that is ur engine in ur pic PUT THE COVER BAK ON IT THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON they guid the air

·
Registered
123 Posts
pps myn did that to this year turnd out i had something stuck in my carb and a nice big hole in the boot try starten it up and pullin each plug cap off take the left off first see if it keeps goin the same or dies and then try the right with the left cap on it shouldnt be a spark problem because there is only one coil but ya never know try taken a plug cap off see if ur on one cylender

1 - 9 of 9 Posts