Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too bad my Paint shop guys are not promising the paint to stick....

I'm thinking a wrap now

Anyone have good luck with paint on the IQR body panels and if so what process was used?
Anyone have wrap installation experience?

20104167811781_3287.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,011 Posts
The john deer theme would be unique but I think over time you'd get tired of it. I do however love seeing IQR's all painted custom. Probably my favorite sled of all time for looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Maybe try all green with the Spitfire stripes and "IQR" in yellow on the front like the 79 spitfires. Or go silver like the trailfire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,708 Posts
dodger said:
Too bad my Paint shop guys are not promising the paint to stick....

I'm thinking a wrap now

Anyone have good luck with paint on the IQR body panels and if so what process was used?
Anyone have wrap installation experience?

20104167811781_3287.jpg
I have some experience installing a wrap on a sled. Mine isn't a full body one, but was still a difficult job to do.
2009121791653119_14053.jpg
Depending on who you get your wrap from, mine is from Arctic FX,they do not have the nice outside covering you can see through which makes it easier for application, they just have a sticker back that you pull off. With mine I had to tape the decals into place first and figure out exactly where they should be before I was able to actually stick them down. As for staying on the side panels and hood, I spent a lot of time off trail sidehilling, carving, bounced off a few tree branches and they are still as stuck in place as the moment I put them on there. My heat elimation kit on the clutch side, how ever, suffered a few injuries while the wraps is still as perfect as can be.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good.....I was thinking snow camo like the IQRs in the James Bond movie...I think it was a Bond movie

700RMK136 said:
Maybe try all green with the Spitfire stripes and "IQR" in yellow on the front like the 79 spitfires. Or go silver like the trailfire.
The sled is silver now......but the paint will just peel off. I have about 2 hours into peeling paint right now. I have replacement plastics coming and a new BR tech lexan hood...I'm gonna mount those for now and at my leisure finish peeling off the paint on the old plastics....Then do a wrap on that body.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,299 Posts
So you did end up getting his sled.

I've seen a couple of sleds that have painted body panels right after they were painted, but then they don't post pics after a year or so of riding which makes me think it all flakes off. I've got a good color scheme for my sled but I don't think the belly pan paint would hold up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Yeah, it was debating getting my belly pan painted white. I ran into the same issue to whether it would hold up aswell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
powersledder said:
So you did end up getting his sled.

I've seen a couple of sleds that have painted body panels right after they were painted, but then they don't post pics after a year or so of riding which makes me think it all flakes off. I've got a good color scheme for my sled but I don't think the belly pan paint would hold up.
Picked it up last friday. It is now all tore down to a skeleton. I wanted to know exactally what I came home with....All looks good. Besides the ugly silver and green paint scheame.

Waiting for some parts to come in and trying to decide 600 small block or Big block 6,7,or 800 right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,299 Posts
If you can get the bulkhead welded up then there's no question, go big block. I think I might have to stick with a small block this year just because of $$$ and because I sold almost all of my BB parts already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,776 Posts
Just talk to jordan From AFX. I'm sure he can help you out. Instead of painting, get a soid gree wrap for the panels. It will last longer, look nicer, and if you get sick of it, you can jsut peel it off.

Just my .02
 
Joined
·
1,792 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
The john deer theme would be unique but I think over time you'd get tired of it. I do however love seeing IQR's all painted custom. Probably my favorite sled of all time for looks.
I saw an '80's Camaro on ebay that was painted JD green and yellow. A few months later, I saw the car in person on the street. Someone 'local' to me bought it. Just do what someone here has in their avatar - put a track and skis on a real JD rider. [thumb] (yes, I know that was shopped too!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
dodger said:
sounds good.....I was thinking snow camo like the IQRs in the James Bond movie...I think it was a Bond movie
You mean Babylon A.D. with Vin Diesel? Burandt and Thacker were the stunt riders for that movie.


firecatF5 said:
Just talk to jordan From AFX. I'm sure he can help you out. Instead of painting, get a soid gree wrap for the panels. It will last longer, look nicer, and if you get sick of it, you can jsut peel it off.

Just my .02
Jordans the man. If you need any kind of decal done, he's the guy to talk to!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
I think the john deere idea would be cool but it would get boring after a bit this on looked pretty cool on a ski doo sorry pic is small but it has a good scheme
http://www.snowmobile.com/images/logos/OthersSN_Thumbnail.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
That would be a unique theme. You would probly want to change it in a year or so, but that goes with just about any paint scheme you choose. The wraps now a days are pretty damn tough. If you do much bush wacking the paint and wrap will show damage after a good year of riding. I have tried them both on my sleds and they all fail to the back woods abuse. Wraps do hold up well on the hood though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sledcrusher said:
dodger said:
sounds good.....I was thinking snow camo like the IQRs in the James Bond movie...I think it was a Bond movie
You mean Babylon A.D. with Vin Diesel? Burandt and Thacker were the stunt riders for that movie.






Good call....I just saw bits and pieces of the movie...That sled chase was cool..I wonder who did those wraps? Anyone know for sure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,011 Posts
MakingTheWinterGoByFaster said:
sledneck1978 said:
The john deer theme would be unique but I think over time you'd get tired of it. I do however love seeing IQR's all painted custom. Probably my favorite sled of all time for looks.
I saw an '80's Camaro on ebay that was painted JD green and yellow. A few months later, I saw the car in person on the street. Someone 'local' to me bought it. Just do what someone here has in their avatar - put a track and skis on a real JD rider. [thumb] [highlight=red] (yes, I know that was shopped too!)
[/highlight=red]

Are you kidding????????? The jonh deer snow mower is 100% real! Check out these picks....

2010121224838463_19673.jpg

2010121224837619_19673.jpg

2010121224839181_19673.jpg

201012122484025_19673.jpg


You can see the entire build on http://vintagesleds.com/ That thing has won awards my friend[thumb]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
I would love to try to carve with the John Deere snowmobile! haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,516 Posts
What about a retro look? Someone said something about the Spitfires...New sleds + Retro = Sweet looks. IMO...like the new Camaros, Challengers, and Mustangs. Who doesn't like one of the three? And it's retro! ;)
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top