Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife wanted a sled of her own... so here is the new addition to the family;

It is in pretty good shape, it's just a little dirty. Mileage is fairly low for the year at ~3200 miles. It is pretty stock, for now. It has a Snow Stuff shield, Ski skins and rear light cover along with some foot grips, etc.(which she wants all changed from red to blue) Once I am done with my SPX I will start going through it. It needs a tune up and the usual pre-winter maintenance.

I want to ditch the factory metal skis for sure. We will adjust the suspension for her. I will also add a trail clutch kit and few other accessories she wants.

What are the best mods for this sled? I haven't dealt with non-reed twins before.

Yep, it's official, I can't leave anything alone....[:D]

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Nice sled. My wife rides a 98'. Defiantly dump the steel skis. I would clutch it if she wants but my wife is happy with it stock. It still gets up and goes. I suppose you could get a 42-36 helix with a gold spring.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ya, you already covered the two best mods you can do to that machine- clutch kit and plastic skis. Nice sled- way to go!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You see, the problem is, my wife likes things that perform. Last year we rode 98 and 99 ZR Arctic Cats. Mine was a 600 EFI and hers was a 440 Carb. One night the clutch belt went out in the 440. I changed the belt and she wanted me to ride it back home while she rode the 600. When we got back she says to me, "Hey, you've been hogging the good sled all along! That 440 is a turd compared to this 600." From then on it was a fight to see who got to ride the 600.

So, I need to make her sled able to somewhat keep up with my SPX. I can never let her ride mine...[;)]

Also, she has very small hands and her hand cramps up from holding the throttle down. So I was hoping with a clutch kit with higher engagement, it will bring the throttle lever closer to the bar under normal driving. We are going to get her that thing that goes on the throttle lever to make it easier for her to hold down. I would also like to get a left hand throttle but man are they expensive.

Does anyone know any other easy throttle levers that we could try?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
We used to have the polaris easy throttle. It was a 2 stage design. Worked alright.

If she wants performance then get here a epi pro series kit #PR-14 and a good set of plastic skis. I like the c&a's unless you run alot of powder then get a set of slydogs.

If I were going to make a kit then I would use a almond/gold pri,silver/bluesec with a 42/36 helix in #2. I would stick with stock weights for now.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have always wondered why a twist grip throttle wouldn't work. My hand also cramps up and the tendon in my thumb gets swollen after long rides.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]We used to have the polaris easy throttle. It was a 2 stage design. Worked alright.

If she wants performance then get here a epi pro series kit #PR-14 and a good set of plastic skis. I like the c&a's unless you run alot of powder then get a set of slydogs.

If I were going to make a kit then I would use a almond/gold pri,silver/bluesec with a 42/36 helix in #2. I would stick with stock weights for now.
Can you still get those 2-stage throttles any more?

I was thinking of copying the TP-13 which comes with a black primary and yellow secondary. I will get a black spring with my clutch kit but I won't use it. Then all I would need is the right helix and secondary spring for that kit.

What is the difference performance wise between the Pro and trail kits?

Are those factory spring colors you recomended? What is the poundage spec for those? Right now I have these springs on hand, EPI Red Primary, Factory Blue Primary, EPI Red secondary and a Silver EPI secondary (this is going into my spx with the heel clicker) can I do anything with these springs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by PolarisRocks0822
[br]nice sled nothing wrong with buying the wife a sled now she'll wanna go.
yeah she like to bar hop, errr, I mean, Trail ride, yeah that's it.. trail ride about once a week.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by 97SPX680
[br]
[br]We used to have the polaris easy throttle. It was a 2 stage design. Worked alright.

I was thinking of copying the TP-13 which comes with a black primary and yellow secondary. I will get a black spring with my clutch kit but I won't use it. Then all I would need is the right helix and secondary spring for that kit.

Are those factory spring colors you recomended? What is the poundage spec for those? Right now I have these springs on hand, EPI Red Primary, Factory Blue Primary, EPI Red secondary and a Silver EPI secondary (this is going into my spx with the heel clicker) can I do anything with these springs?
almond/gold 150/290
silv/blue 42/75

epi-red 145/300
polaris blue 120/300
epi red sec-47/106
epi silv sec-44/91

I would try the epi red with epi silver. Can't tell you what the helix is as it is a trade secert. Epi won't say.

The difference between the trail and the pro is the pro has a high engagment and more snap.

The trail is for a rider who wants alittle more, the pro is for all out

·
Registered
613 Posts
Nice sled. My wife rides one too. Suspension upgrade in my mind is a must. For the last few years my wife would barely ride it due to the bad suspension. It was like riding a shopping cart. Which left me riding her Indy 500, and she riding my 600 Edge. But I have changed the rear out. So we will see how she likes it this year. Other than that it runs and drives maintenance free.

[attachment=17880]

Raceman1

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[br]
[br]

almond/gold 150/290
silv/blue 42/75

epi-red 145/300
polaris blue 120/300
epi red sec-47/106
epi silv sec-44/91

I would try the epi red with epi silver. Can't tell you what the helix is as it is a trade secert. Epi won't say.

The difference between the trail and the pro is the pro has a high engagment and more snap.

The trail is for a rider who wants alittle more, the pro is for all out
The Red is pretty close to the Almond and the EPI Yellow is pretty close to the Silver/Blue you recomended, so maybe those with the 42/36 helix you recomended? That would be close to their trail kit since the EPI black is 145/280. Maybe that is the helix they use.... What helix would you recomend for the EPI red/ Silver combo? Have any thoughts on what it would act like?

I could always copy the SLP 41-50 power shift kit, they say what to use for every component. I don't think it is going to give me any higher engagement though since it uses the stock weights and primary spring. They recomend their 40/36 helix and their black secondary which is like 40/66. Have no idea what this system was designed to accomplish.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by raceman1
[br]Nice sled. My wife rides one too. Suspension upgrade in my mind is a must. For the last few years my wife would barely ride it due to the bad suspension. It was like riding a shopping cart. Which left me riding her Indy 500, and she riding my 600 Edge. But I have changed the rear out. So we will see how she likes it this year. Other than that it runs and drives maintenance free.

[attachment=17880]

Raceman1
What suspension did you put in?

I was going to drop the track down and jack up the front springs a bit to try and get some more suspension travel. I know it will stiffen the ride in the front but maybe the extra travel in the rear won't hit so hard.

Have you done anything else to it?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
40-36 sounds good also. I don't know how agressive of an angle the 500 can pull.

·
Registered
613 Posts
[br]
[br]Nice sled. My wife rides one too. Suspension upgrade in my mind is a must. For the last few years my wife would barely ride it due to the bad suspension. It was like riding a shopping cart. Which left me riding her Indy 500, and she riding my 600 Edge. But I have changed the rear out. So we will see how she likes it this year. Other than that it runs and drives maintenance free.

[attachment=17880]

Raceman1

I was going to drop the track down and jack up the front springs a bit to try and get some more suspension travel. I know it will stiffen the ride in the front but maybe the extra travel in the rear won't hit so hard.

The skid is still the same, but the shocks are rebuils out of indyultra's Ultra. I have not really had a problem with the front suspension (although it needs to be changed) it just the rear that had no travel at all. Now it moves way better that it did. I'm trying to get my uncles spare X10 136 skid for it. But that will be a summer project. Other than that, its bone stock with 5824 Miles on it.

Raceman1

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[br]
[br]

[attachment=17880]

Raceman1

The skid is still the same, but the shocks are rebuils out of indyultra's Ultra. I have not really had a problem with the front suspension (although it needs to be changed) it just the rear that had no travel at all. Now it moves way better that it did. I'm trying to get my uncles spare X10 136 skid for it. But that will be a summer project. Other than that, its bone stock with 5824 Miles on it.

Raceman1
So you added the shocks only or the shock with the coil overs? Were they Xtra-10 shocks or standard Ultra shocks?

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Watch out with putting an XTRA-10 in the rear, it may slightly help the ride, but be prepared to lose the front bumper. I changed mine over from the 96 to the 98+ bumper. On my 96, the XTRA-10 is not a huge improvement over the dial adjust in my dad's, although something seems wrong with mine, so I will reserve final judgement until I figure out the other problems. My friend's 1997 seems to ride and handle very good with the XTRA-10/XTRA-10 combination. If you do swap in an XTRA-10, only the rear hole should need to be changed. I am pretty sure that the XTRA-10 and XC-100 shared front arms.
[attachment=52809]

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[br]40-36 sounds good also. I don't know how agressive of an angle the 500 can pull.
How do you think that combination would act? Engagement RPM, Back shifting, full shift out, etc?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by chadd
[br]Watch out with putting an XTRA-10 in the rear, it may slightly help the ride, but be prepared to lose the front bumper. I changed mine over from the 96 to the 98+ bumper. On my 96, the XTRA-10 is not a huge improvement over the dial adjust in my dad's, although something seems wrong with mine, so I will reserve final judgement until I figure out the other problems. My friend's 1997 seems to ride and handle very good with the XTRA-10/XTRA-10 combination. If you do swap in an XTRA-10, only the rear hole should need to be changed. I am pretty sure that the XTRA-10 and XC-100 shared front arms.
[attachment=52809]
Did you change the front Trailing arms also?

I think he was just talking about changing the shocks....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts