Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in the topic 'let's put a ride together' and it reminded me of some important issues with snowmachines. In the past few years sled have come under alot of pressure. It's to bad, but there are alot more non-sledders than snowmobilers out there. Pipes and registration is the big thing where I'm from. Noise is a big complaint and then you have the complaints about sled tracks on private property. Now, I know a sleds footprint is 10x lighter than human footprints, but people that don't ride just don't get it. I hear alot of talk, here and elsewhere, about picks in MN. Now I can understand they're complaint on the asphalt trails. And I think a twelve dollar pass is well within reason. In my area they are increasing trail registration fees and enforcing them! There are DNR officers all over, or alot more than I remember as a kid. This scares me. I got a fifty dollar ticket last year in the U.P. for riding on a road that was not legal. I was honestly lost and trying to get to the road that took us home. I will pay for every little 10-15 dollar sticker they make us buy. I agree that we have to stand up for our selfs but, if we fight these pidley little fees we will just piss them off, and they will just look for more fines.

I think this will, and should be a hot topic. Do you want to ride or explain yourself to johnnylaw?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yes, I'd much rather buy a $15 stud sticker in MN than have to pay a $75+ fine. It is a hastle to get stopped. I am not sure but I think once me and my dad were riding in a ditch and we got stopped, he had studs but no sticker. I can't remember if he got a fine or not, I think it was just a warning...it still isn't fun.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
892 Posts
In my town the biggest thing is people driving on private property trying to get out of city limits, due to lack of the white stuff. Now, I love to snowmobile, but I also have GREAT respect for my fellow home owners. It is not right for someone to drive through a yard that you do not have permission for. They might have planted small trees or just did some other type of landscaping. These snowmobilers should either buy a trailer or move to the country.

Also as far as sound goes, louder sucks IMO. I do not understand why you would want to get off of your sled after a 2 hour ride and have your head ringing? When the rest of the party is going to get there anyway.

I will continue to pay the stud sticker in MN and riding within my rights.

/snofan/../images/users/baero/eyes.gif

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Baero:
Also as far as sound goes, louder sucks IMO. I do not understand why you would want to get off of your sled after a 2 hour ride and have your head ringing? When the rest of the party is going to get there anyway.

[/quote]

/snofan/../images/users/SledHead/withstupid.jpg

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
My buddy lives in town so I go through his dad's farm yard in the ditch through the park and to his house. Sounds easy? Well most of the time it is unless you lose track of time and end up having to leave in the middle of the night. One time when I went to his house as soon as we got in we got a phone call from the neighbors not to drive so late at night and it was like 930. I think that if people would keep it in reason it wouldn't be a big deal.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, private property is private property! This is the type of stuff that people hate, with good reason. But also, I see alot of people who put up markers or signs in they're yard. This, in my opion would help alot. Now pipes, that is a different story. Hey, I' ve been a gear head since day one. I love the sound of a piped 2-stroke screamn'. But, that is a tough one to fight. Even though I can't blame the old guy for getting upset when a lake racer goes by. We are walking on eggshells, and we need to pick and chose our battles. There are so many worse problems than snowmobiles.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Keeping it within reason is a relative term when it comes to time of day. People live different lifes and sometime strange sleep cycles. Let us say that I work a night shift, I would be sleeping most of the day and could complain just as easy at noon as someone else complaining at 1:00 am.

Most towns have a ordinance to as how late snowmobiles can ride through town, but still if it is your property, you have the right to set whatever timelines you want.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For our riding area its the cross country skiers and back country skiers who don't like us. I know a few of us have started to stop and offer rides to the downhill skiers, you make some beer money and they are starting to like the sound of a 2 stroke engine now :) The cross country skiers though have closed down one of our riding areas and yet on a weekend i only see one or two people stopped in that parking lot. We are supposed to have trail passes but there is no one willing to check for them, other than for our hill climb.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Here in Ontario trail permits are $170 CDN for the season.. and you won't go a week-end with getting stoped.. or going through a radar trap.. Studs are fine, pipes are banned, and our speed limits are so low it's out of hand..

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
do you mean, that you won't go a weekend with out getting caught?

Where in Ontario are you? I don't beleive that pipes are banned... I'm in Haliburton Ontario..

·
Registered
637 Posts
I ride in Haliburton as well, Have a place in Gooderham.. anyways.. getting caught and getting stopped are two different things.. and yes just about every week-end I get "stopped" and they check for insurance and trail premits..

As far as Pipes see section 18.1 of the MSVA (Motorized Snow Vechicle Act).. and 50km/h speed limits just about everywhere..

·
Registered
614 Posts
If they ban pipes on sleds, they should be banned on everything. Bikes[H.D.s, crouch rockets], cars [street racing imports, muscle cars], airplanes, trains, transport trucks[jake brakes], how about the barking dog next door, etc. etc.
Lets just get out our horses and buggies and everyone would be happy. Oops, poop pollution.
THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!
So I say, lets ride, PIPES and all, and catch me if you can. "W.F.O."

"tie wrap it wide open"

·
Registered
38 Posts
yep thats how i see it. I mean, no you can't have a sled with no exaust on it, and there is a limit, i understand that but... banning pipes. THats a little outa hand. It's not just going to be us that are getting it in the behind if they ban pipes, think about all the aftermarket companies that would be affected if there was no market for pipes. Its just rediculus how crazy people are getting against sleds. Its almost sickening. I live in Otsego, MN. And they lowered the speed limit of sleds to 10 MILES AN HOUR. GIVE ME A FIGGIN BREAK PEOPLE. Who in there right mind is going to go 10 miles/h?

Not me.
Like daver said, catch me if you can.

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I don't think i can even keep my sled calmed-down enough to stay below 10 mph!

I remember last year i wrote a paper for one of my classes, and it revolved around snowmobiles and all these issues that we are talking about here. Feels like we are getting attacked from every angle possible!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Where i live(Galena, Alaska) we dont even have to worry about it, it's great :) I used to take my mxz to school, along with like 10 other students.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by 650Indy:
I ride in Haliburton as well, Have a place in Gooderham.. anyways.. getting caught and getting stopped are two different things.. and yes just about every week-end I get "stopped" and they check for insurance and trail premits..

As far as Pipes see section 18.1 of the MSVA (Motorized Snow Vechicle Act).. and 50km/h speed limits just about everywhere..

[/quote]

I know that they do stops alot, thats fine by me. If you people are trying to get a free ride, make'em pay for the trails. The 50 km/h I don't mind that much because of the types of trails. It sometimes gets very thin, and alot of blind corners. Plus there tons of lakes. and that W.O.T.

·
Registered
637 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>If you poeple are trying...[/quote]

Who are you referring to here.? Not only do I buy a premit I support the local clubs with fund raising..

As far as the stops go.. they are [bold]extremely fustrating[/bold].. especially when it's more than once a day... w/ long line ups and wait times it's a hassle.. We'll see this year though, S.T.O.P. has come up with a new plan.. hopefully it works well.. you can read about it in last months magazine..

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Man, I'm glad its not like that in Maine, with stops and all. I couldn't imagine have to wait in a fricking LINE while out on the trails!

We may have an occasional check point with a warden, but its usually very infrequent. If it does happen, its just to check registrations, and OUI's.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yah I live in the U.P in Marquette and they are very anal about riding on the street, I can only see one reason for that and that is saftly but besides that everyone and there mother is against sled's even most of them that own them bitch because of the noise. Up here there is an on going prolem with allowing rides to go into town but they just past it they were allowed to go into the southside of town but there again you have to cross a main highway US 41 so you know they will never be any compermise so you might as well not have any pipes on and cross when ever you want. Justin

Justin Jarmus

1 - 20 of 27 Posts