Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of the internals and a couple of the carbon build-up. Sorry for the quality..they're a scan of some polaroids./snofan/../images/users/morg/Internals.jpg
So I changed the piston, rings & all gaskets last night, (thanks Dean "Ripperd2" for those torque #'s!)One of the rings was fairly brittle, broke in my hand. But overall, wasn't too bad. Threw it all back together & went for a rip...same thing [V]. She'll cruise up to 5500 RPM and stay there. Time to start eliminating components piece by piece.
Oh well...she was in need of a rebuild anyways. [/img]rolling eyes, shrugging shoulders
[:D]
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
146 Posts
What's your compression now? Did you hone, or rebore or anything? With that many miles on the sled you're surely do for a bore and bigger piston. Just a guess....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compression is at 95psi now. Tester is older than I am, so I don't know how reliable it is. Did not hone or rebore...cyllinders were in great shape, I took a few pics but they didn't turn out. All OEM parts were installed.
I'll check the timing tonight.
What should compression be at?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[\Quote]I'll check the timing tonight.[\Quote]

How do I check timing?? [:p]

·
Registered
50 Posts
You'll need a 12 volt battery and a timing light. There is a plug on the engine. If I remember right you have to take off the pull start and start the engine wiht a rope around the clutch. Then you get the thing up to temp. Mark the timing mark on the magneto. Set the engine idle to spec. Shine the light into the hole check timing. To adjust it you'll need to actually rotate the Stator. To do this there are two or three scres that you can acces through the holes in the magneto. You loosen the screws rotate the magneto check the marks again. Been a while since I did timing on that motor but that's the general idea.

You'll need to hook the timing light to the 12 volt battery to get power and then hook the pickup to the plug wire.

I hope I made sense. I just had a few minute to reply so if you have any questions send an email

KB

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[:0] Oh boy, doesn't that sound like fun.

Thanks for the info RMBBIKES!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just use a dial indicator to find TDC, a degree wheel to mark 0 degrees and then use the manufactures timing number to mark with the degree wheel. Hook up a timing light, start the engine (all intact) and timing light will flash on the degree wheel to tell you where you are. To adjust you rotate the stator plate which is when you need to take the flywheel off.

That was a bit rough, let me know if you need more help.....

If I were you, I would invest in a new compression tester also. 95 is still way low.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol..thanks for the vote of confidence [:D]
She'll be just fine.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
hey morg, are you on sno-west? there is somone there I replied to with a similar problem...

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk3/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=50623&highlight_key=y

for piston pics of motors that i have rebuilt:

another set:

-Dean

·
Registered
837 Posts
in the upper left of the page there is a box that says welcome, and in there, there is a thing that say site Faqs click that and it tells you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link Dean.. Glade mine didn't look like that!
OK, I'm ready for some heckling and rib shots [B)]...Checked primary last night, was fine. Checked secondary, was fine. Checked wiring (thought maybe ground??), was fine. Was about to check the timing, and decided might as well check the carbs first. I just did the carbs this fall and have about 400 miles on them. Well..Well..I took em off, took off the reservoir and low and behold.....................the jet was sitting in the bottom of it! Must have weasled it's way out. Shotty mechanic..uh-hum.
So that was it. Took it out on the lake and she back to normal.
Got a different compression tester and she's sitting at 125 lb. Perfect.

Moral of the story?? Ahhhhhh...who cares

I'm picking up my 96 XLT SP tonight!!!! Gonna be a good weekend!

Thanks for all the advice fellah's!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Ahhh hahahahaha......at least it was something simple, and you found out what it was. I had something similar happen to me. Had taken the carbs off to clean them for the pre season. Went out for a ride, but could only get up to about 55-60 mph, wasn't spoolin' up the way it should either. Come to find out, I hadn't hooked up one of the throttle cables well enough and it came undone. So only two of the carbs were opening while I was riding. Stupid, stupid, stupid........Hooked the other one up and I was off like a shot! Hey, live and learn. Have fun with the sled!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Even though I didn't contribute to this one I was following along. It's really satisfying to see when the person comes back and tells what was wrong and that it's working now.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts