Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this could be a long post but I appreciate everyone helping me out because I am not sure what to do?

So I am looking to upgrade to a new sled and have been looking alot at the REV. I found one advertised in the area yesterday. The sled is a 2003 REV-X 800, as many 2003 REVs did this one dumped the motor because of a factory defect. The current owner had it replaced with a 2004 800 to avoid the reliability issues of the 2003. Since the swap the new motor has about 3000km on it but thats not what worries me. The sled also has a brand new factory 1.25" track, all the shocks were rebuilt/revalved last year and the skis are in good shape. Heres my problem the odometer reads 13,000 km... does all the other work and condition of the sled make this irrelevant or is the mileage too high? The guy will take $4,900 CAN cash. I rode it and it runs really nice, started 2nd pull and had no knocking in the motor.

Please give me your opinions, is this too many miles on the frame or is it not a big deal?

Here are some pics

[attachment=51138]

[attachment=51139]

[attachment=51140]

[attachment=51141]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
What is 3000km's and 13,000km in miles? and what is $4900.Canadian in US?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
thats alot of miles for tht price.. thats bodys got too many miles, engine isnt too bad but ..... personally id stay clear

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I wouldn't think that the miles would be a factor. just check all the bearings over on the jack shaft and look at the suspension to make sure that there is no stess cracks developing.
maybe spend a few extra bucks and rebuild the clutches if need be.
Oh and Nice looking sled always liked the black and yellow

[attachment=51148]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]$5000???????? No way. For a 2003? LOL HAHAHAhahahaahahahahaha
In canadian funds thats pretty competitivly priced for that model after doing the research, not sure why its funny.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by rev500ss
[br]I wouldn't think that the miles would be a factor. just check all the bearings over on the jack shaft and look at the suspension to make sure that there is no stess cracks developing.
maybe spend a few extra bucks and rebuild the clutches if need be.
Oh and Nice looking sled always liked the black and yellow

[attachment=51148]
I need to see the dealer service order for the motor swap but you would think they would have had a look at the drive bearings with the motor out. But I'm not sure he is gonna send me the paperwork tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That is about what they sell for this time of year. I would stay away from that many miles. You would be better off riding tour old sled untill about February and then buy another. They really drop in price around then because poeple start worrying about the season ending and they don't want to store them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would that many miles really affect the frame that much? the body, seat and windshield are all completelt mint and the suspension is free of stress marks, I'm not worried about the mechanical side the dealer installed motor only has 40 hours on it.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i'd stay clear. around here in minnesota when looking at any used sleds we stay clear of anything over 4000 miles on them no matter what year the motor is. if i was you i'd keep waiting. you never knwo how the guy rode. 13,000 km its not a yamaha once ski doo gets high miles liek that it becomes a ski-don't

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Originally posted by ArcticCat1
[br]What is 3000km's and 13,000km in miles? and what is $4900.Canadian in US?
3000km is around 2000 miles, so 13,000km is around 9000 miles. $4900cdn is like $4000 to $4500.

I don't think I would buy this one, there is a reason it is for sale and way no one else is chomping at the bit to get it other than you at the moment.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
good one ^^^ but 13000 miles can also mean grandpa is retired and rides his sled 300 miles a day...how old is the guy??? does he seem like he would beat his toys?? 13000 can be a lot in a way or still a lot but well taken care of....im my opinion i would stay away though

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Luke68Polaris
[br]good one ^^^ but 13000 miles can also mean grandpa is retired and rides his sled 300 miles a day...how old is the guy??? does he seem like he would beat his toys?? 13000 can be a lot in a way or still a lot but well taken care of....im my opinion i would stay away though
Thats another factor the guy is 55 years old the only reason he wants to sell it is he and his wife are getting divorced and he moved to the city.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
personally mileage doesn't bother me anymore.. Mileage was a big thing back in the day, but with the newer engine technology, the better oils we have, etc mileage shouldn't scare ppl. If the sled is well taken care of and properly maintained then mileage shouldn't matter.

You can have a brand new sled right out of the dealer go down the trail and blow up on your 1st ride.

the guy is 55 years old the only reason he wants to sell it is he and his wife are getting divorced and he moved to the city.
In this case its most likely high trail touring mileage! If it was me I would buy it.. Normally high milage machines that are from constant long touring miles are better then low mileage sleds that where ran harder.

Take a look at the drive shaft and its bearings if you can see them. Check for way to much radial play and end play. Look the rear skid over and any othe major components. You can normally tell if things where neglected for to long.

As far as the motor just do a compression test and look the cluthes over.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Offer him a thousand bucks less than asking price and that would be a good price for it both ways. If all is sound on it I think it would hold up to another couple years of good use. High mileage doesn't mean anything if it is taken care of properly.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't think you should get this one. Even if it was a 55 yr old driver that is selling it. 9000 miles is quite a bit.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
that many miles on that sled it must be nice conditions drove. also the trails in your area are a little different than in midwest us. our sleds get the crap beat out of them our sled with that many miles the body is coming apart. you can wiggle all the bumpers. all the rivets are loose. the rear skids need all new cross bars and bushings. same with the front suspension.

if the sled rides and drives nice, feels tight in the steering and through out the machine. probably isnt that bad of a buy.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for everyone's input, as long as all of the service orders check out and I can tell the maintenance has been done I think I will pick it up. The pyramid chassis is really strong and from what I can tell the sled runs really well.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by v-maxsledder
[br]i'd stay clear. around here in minnesota when looking at any used sleds we stay clear of anything over 4000 miles on them no matter what year the motor is...
That's because of all the salt on your guy's roads. Pretty well known to stay away from something driven there. [;)]

obsessed - As for the rev; considering the shape, age of the rider, and the new motor I would say your not going to be stupid for buying it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts