Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some random pictures and a couple of video clips I took last weekend at the asphalt sled shootout race, the Harley drag bike runs on NITRO, I have a clip I will put up later, the one video clip shows the world record holding sled, this pass was made on Saturday and it was a record breaker at the given time, On Sunday he broke the record again...twice, on his final pass the Yamaha Turbo went 7.39 @ 183 MPH!!!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Awesome pictures, how did you do?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sled was up and down all weekend long, no consistency what so every, went out in the first round on Saturday,(did not buy back in) won my first round on Sunday and went out in the 2nd,there was a load of FAST heavy hitting sleds running in bracket both days, had fun though and did manage a new personal record ET with a 10.89 in time trials on Sunday morning, a guy in our group did make the finals on Sunday and took second place for $500, his picture is in the ones I posted above, the black ZR 800 with the No. 100 on the windshield, it only runs low 11's but Scott got the clutches dialed in on Sunday and it was running its number all day long, he basically lost on a holeshot in the final, the picture of the sled and guy with the big check and trophy is the sled he lost to, those two guys in that picture were pitted right next to me, the came all the way from Milwaukee WI, or somewhere near there, both of their sleds ran really good all weekend long also, was at the starting line on Sunday and watched the Outlaw Turbo Yamaha break the world top speed and ET record.....again....the fourth time in 2 days, talk about a awesome machine, but with the amount of money in that sled is should go that fast, rumor has it that there is well over 75K in it, but you have to have someone that know how to drive it also, 7.39 @ 183 takes a big set of onions for sure.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Damn...thats fast. Those four strokes are putting down some serious numbers...but 75k ouch

Are you running any grass drags at Hastings this weekend? Jimmy Mchugh is doing the races... hes my neighbor.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
what class are you in or how do they class them?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KRSS144 said:
Damn...thats fast. Those four strokes are putting down some serious numbers...but 75k ouch

Are you running any grass drags at Hastings this weekend? Jimmy Mchugh is doing the races... hes my neighbor.
No I don't run on grass, I did a few run what ya brung's many years ago but now I just don't have the desire to run on dirt, my brother and I will be in the swap meet trying to sell parts, I won't even go over into the track area as they want a additional $15 bucks just to get in there to watch so I'll just listen and hear the jabber over the PA system, like I said grass racing just doesn't interest me.

madcow said:
what class are you in or how do they class them?
madcow, are you asking about the grass drag classes???, I am not exactly sure how they do the classes for this race,the Hastings 500 race is to Michigan as Hay days is to Minnesota, and I believe COSDRA is the sanctioned race officials, the same guy that runs the drags at Hay Days, here is a link to YZRP (Yankee Zephyr Racing Productions) who is the promoter of this race (Jimmy McHugh):

http://yzrp.com/rules.html

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
no for asphalt. grass drags dont do it for me, its only half a race.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
madcow said:
no for asphalt. grass drags dont do it for me, its only half a race.
I run in the "bracket" class which is always a big class there, usually there are sleds anywhere from high 8 second sleds up to your basic trail sleds running 12 to 13 seconds, at this event there was:

Pro Stock 1000 Heads up, 1000 CC limit, no power adder, @ weight
Pro Outlaw Heads up, Anything goes here,tube chassis,nitrous,turbo's No CC limit
9.0 Index Heads up, Anything goes just as long as your don't run faster that 9 seconds.
Big Twin Heads up, Twin only, no cc limit, 1 power adder
All Motor Heads up, No CC limit, no power adder
And The Bracket class of course you run staggered according to your dial in time, I'm sure you know how that works, you could be running against either a faster sled or a slower sled, you just have to nail the tree and hope you run your dial or as close to it as you can and beat the other guy across the line, there was over 70 sleds in the bracket class on both days this year, I made it to the final four 3 years ago and red lighted in my semi, I think I went 6 or 7 rounds that day before I blew it, have not been even close to making it that far since, for my crew its mostly a for fun thing but if you start going rounds and the sled is running its number consistently it gets pretty exciting and whom ever it is in our group that has it going on everyone rallies around to help out if they are already out of the hunt, luckily one of our guys did make it to the final on Sunday but ended up getting 2nd place and won $500, Its a great weekend event put on by American Snowmobiler Magazine, lots of big sponsors and very nice payouts for all of the classes, There will be a complete story and write up in the December issue of their Magazine.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the bracket class does sound like fun. i am planning on winning the lottery in several years. so after that i will have time to travel to the asphalt tracks and have some fun.

i am 2 hours from brainerd mn. it would be fun to go up there on friday nights and run against cars.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
madcow said:
the bracket class does sound like fun. i am planning on winning the lottery in several years. so after that i will have time to travel to the asphalt tracks and have some fun.

i am 2 hours from brainerd mn. it would be fun to go up there on friday nights and run against cars.
I'm sure with your tuning experience that you could put together a very good running and competitive tar sled, the bracket class is a ton of fun to run in as you don't have to have the fastest sled to win, just one that is consistent, it just so happens that the gentleman that won the bracket class on Saturday at the shootout has the winning sled for sale over on AMSNOW, the two pictures above of the green ZR, it has a 1010 D&D trail twin in it, runs 9.90's all day long and is dialed in to a T, he is asking $3800 for the sled and it comes complete with the trail snow setup also.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another look at the worlds fastest asphalt sled from the starting line, this may or may not have been the current record run as the reader board is a bit blurry (6 year old camera) but never the less this machine is all business.

If you click to watch the original AVI file the video looks better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts