Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well. these carbs are my first attempt at powder coating. In a couple days I will have my clutch cover done. then the engine, chaincase cover, front suspesnion and then steering.[attachment=48385]
[attachment=48386]

later on I will be offering it as a service!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
How much does the coating add in weight?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The weight increase is insignificant. Powder coating is actually a type of plastic. Starts in powder form, and cures with heat to a tough, glossy finish. Ultimately, you are adding a thin layer of plastic to the parts. So that can give you an idea of it's weight. I have several parts powder coated on my sled. I went with a plain old black though. No pimped out stuff....yet. [:D]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
those look great man, how long did it take from start to finish?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to do something like a clutch cover if it is clean with no scratches. 40 minutes start to finish.

things like carbs and cylinders take a lot of time becuase you have to do a lot of taping and dissasembly of anything that can melt.
tommarrow I will try and have the clutch cover in anodized blue!!

it is real tuff stuff. I did a sheet of aluminum. hit it with a wrench. didnt chip, bent the part, didnt chip or flake, bent it back, no cracks,flakes or chips. you could hit the piece hard enough to dent it and the paint stayed on.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I may have to come down and hang out with ya some weekend (I'll be sure to bring along some more parts for you to "practice" on [:D])

·
Registered
982 Posts
That looks really good, I'll keep you in mind also. Curious, did you use an, "At home powder coating kit." I know they make them. I think you basically just need an oven that can get between 400 and 500 degrees and the size of the oven will dictate the size of the parts a person can do. I'm just not positive though.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
That is off the hook! Can't wait to see the finished project!

-Skip

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
By the looks of the pile of carb parts laying there its my guess its not nessesary to insure the carb parts go back to the original location or is that a Madcow exclusive filing system?

Just bustin yer balls. Looks great, let us know when you are open for buisiness!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yah, thats my fileing system.

I thought of doing kuskos as a suprise. but I didnt want to have to replace them if they got damaged.
yeah. its an at home kit. to do something like the shield below is a lot more learning curve. I will end up doing a little wet sanding. but man it looks sooo good. I ended up going through way more powder on this one than needed. but thats the fun of learning. I think I am going to do the clutches in anodized red. I am going to throw some crank seals and other meltable things in the oven to see if they melt or not. I did some rubber gaskets and they didnt melt.
[attachment=48525]
[attachment=48526]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.