Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about buying a set of pipes for my 1996 XLT Special. Has anyone ever piped this sled? I've herd that you can gain a huge increase in Horse Power, but I've also herd that sometimes this is bad on the engine, and decreases the lifetime on this? Has this been found to be true? or is it just happen to be bad luck. a couple of my friends said dont do it. and a couple of them said I'm stupid not to.. Does anyone have anything to say about this? I'd love to get as much out of my sled as I can.. I'm 215 lbs and want to beable to keep up with all my friends.... any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
My neighbor has a 95' XLT. It's a 580cc triple with SLP pipes. He has over 5000 miles on it and the only thing he's replaced is the primary clutch. I believe it has a 133&1/2 in. track weith 1 in. paddles. I rode it around the field last weekend and it had an insane amount of power for this old of a sled with this many miles. I was literally pulling wheelies from a stand still. My advice is to do it, no question about it. P.S. I weigh 195lbs. so weight shouldn't be a concern for you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have a 96 xlt...dont have any problems keeping up with my buds...if yu pipe yure sled i would highly reccomend yu also install the tough boy crank kit...these motors are pretty tough when stock...but when yu add pipes and rejet...yu will put added stress on the crank...these motors have poor lubrication to the outer pto crank bearing...as long as rpms are kept around 8k yu should be ok...but pipes will prob bring yu over 9k personally if yu want yure sled to be reliable i would leave it stock...yu can do sum clutch work to get better performance....if yu want to go like a bat out of hell id get a bigger sled... a clutch kit will set yu back about 250...pipes and jet work will run well over 600

"v65 brute force"

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i had the slp pipes and heads on my 95. rpms were in the 8500-8700, fast and fun jetted fat never ever had one trouble in 8000 miles. geared it down a little and put on a thundershift kit. smoked the 700 twins in the short run on top end they would pull away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got a 95 XLT Sp, which was stock, I've added PSI Modblaster pipes, jetted up as per PSI's recomendations. Also raised the air breather cover 3/8", put in an EPI clutch kit (white primary w/ 46g weights, Yellow secondary. I'm now on my second season with this set-up and it rocks. I'm also 215lbs and I've radared at 107.8mph which is really good for a 600 of the XLT's weight an HP. This doesn't win me any 500 of 1000 feet drags against anything that I shouldn't beat, but when we open them up a little on a lake or along a trail, even the big boys with the new sleds can't shake me. They get anywhere from 5 to 10 sled lenghts on me and then it seems to stay there. Can't complain, it's cheaper than a new machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts