Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will zr 720 pipes fit a zr 580 im not sure on the years trying to help a friend out there the same body style and everthing

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
I wouldn't use them, even if they do fit. Pipes are designed for specific displacements. If your motor can't put out enough exhaust pressure to fill the pipes, they are highly un-beneficial.

Just my two-cents though...

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Doesn't matter, it's not the jetting it's how much exhaust is coming out of the cylinder. Two strokes rely on back pressure to run (well all engines do really, 2 strokes are quite a bit more touchy.) If you did get the 700 pipe on a 580, it would run like crap.

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
As was stated, jetting won't do jack. While you WOULD have to jet for them, it's not going to increase the amount of pressure going through the pipes, therefore, it is still insufficient pressure.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
As these guys have pointed out, there are more to just slapping pipes on a sled. A pipes is designed specifically for Swept Volume, Temperature, RPM, Port timing, and Port Dimensions. It's very doubtful that these are even close on those two sleds. Also you could run the pipes and jet for it, but it wouldn't benefit you at all. In fact I'd bet you'd lose power and response. But in a tight spot it may work.

These guys also mentioned back pressure. They are pretty much right it is back pressure, but many people confuse two things. The pressure waves that actually forced fuel back into the cylinders and a residual back pressure created by the stingers and the silencers is also important.

A pipe is always at a high pressure state, due the resistance the stinger and silencer offer, this keeps some of the exhaust in the pipe and the exhaust dissipates heat to the pipe which keeps them at temperature.

The pressure waves as I like to call them, to keep the two separate and defined, are the waves that emanate from the exhaust port on the down stroke of piston. This wave travels through the pipe and is reflected and manipulated by the pressure changes. There are two rules here...

1. A bigger volume creates a low pressure from the area the wave emanated.
2. A volume that gets smaller is reflecting high pressure wave back to the area the wave emanated.

If you wantr to read more here's my website I devoted to the subject...

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.net/triple650indy/11

·
Registered
764 Posts
if you want pipes, put pipes on from a 600, i use exhaust off a powder special 600 for my m-cat 580 and it runs just perfect. thats your best bet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts