Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find and what would be some good pipes or clutch kits for my 96 indy 500, its pretty much brand new stock parts, and I cant stand it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Try Erlandson Performance for a clutch kit, and SLP for the pipes. Not sure if they make pipes for a 500 though.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i dont want to sound mean but i wouldnt pipe a 500. lets say you have 85 hp. if you pipe it you might at best get to 95. but at what expense.are you going to have to run mixed fuel or releive the heads to run 87 octane. are you going to lose bottom or midrange power?
a big gear down in the chaine case and a good clutch kit can make big gains. make sure you use a good belt and run your track as loose as you can with out any racheting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well I have to agree with 'madcow'. Piping a piston port 500 Indy is not worth it. The old 500 is rated around 75 hp. Twin pipes might give you another 10-12 hp and you will still be below the horsepower of todays 500's. Concentrate on the clutching and gearing to give you better all around performance. I've owned a few Indy 500's over the years and if you want a good clutch set up : go with a erlandson white primary spring, stock weights, a 40-36 helix with a Polaris silver/blue secondary spring or a erlandson yellow secondary spring. You want more out of the hole, go down 1 tooth on your top sproket and you will still be able to use your stock chain. Dont forget to put 96 studs in it and you will be amazed on the differance. Have a blast!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey, I own a '97 indy 500, and I would have to say since we rebuilt the top end with Wiseco High Performance Pistons it has increased the top end a bit. The kit cost me, dont quote, but I believe around 130$ also clean the carbs, and clutch. Thats all I have done to my sled and I could catch up to my dads 99xc 500 after a ways, It was just the hole shot I got burned. I am going to Clutch my sled with the products listed in the last post, and I am going to gear down 1 or 2 teeth to get some more hole shot and I will let you know how that comes out. All in all I think the indy 500 is a great sled!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Three years ago I had a '96 Indy 500, at 5300 miles I put in a blue polaris primary spring, 40-36 helix with I believe a red secondary spring in the 3rd hole. On a long long did I say long straight away she finally broke 100, before 83 tops! The windshield dropped to the dash and scared the sh#t out of me. Don't forget the studs, I only had 48 studs, but now wiser should of had 96. Don't forget the carbides when you get the studs I prefer 8", and new belt. I could always get my friends sx700 out of the hole, he did not have studs, pissed him right off.

·
Registered
671 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1974042351 thers a set of pipes for a indy 500 evolved

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only 83? just last thursday I got mine up to over 95 on a packed Road and its pretty much all new stock parts.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Here we go agian with the speedo vs. radar thing,
or was that a radar run?

·
Registered
227 Posts
This wasn't a hard packed icy road with a 57mph wind at my back. This was on a trail of 2 feet of snow, w/ probably 6 inches of fresh powder. I even went back today to check w/ the guy who told me the set up to make sure I wasn't leading you wrong. I wasn't sure of the color of spring in the secondary, he assured me it was red, I think you will have a stock gold in there (for gooood backshifting). And the primary was light blue. I was only trying to give a little help. Remember my post 5300 miles, not new. Also if you want it to go faster stuff an 800 in it! LOL

·
Registered
227 Posts
Saganaga, Oh by the way I have a set 500 pipes if you are interested. I bought them to put on my 500, before I put them on I purchased my new sled. I can't tell you what chasis they are for but I was going to make them work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey do you know what year those pipes are? I am looking for a pair to put in my 97 evolved chasis. How do you want for them?

·
Registered
227 Posts
97indy500, I do not know what year they are, explain what is the evolved chassis. I cut up the flanges and was at the point to make them fit when I bought new sled. They looked like they would fit in my 96. I paid $100 for them, I don't have the flanges, I was going to make new ones at the local muffler shop. You can have them $50 and shipping I just want them out of garage! Oh, they are Decker pipes if, that helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your 96 indy 500 would be the same style as mine so if they would fit that they would fit mine. Can you explain what are flanges? You cut them up to fit that sled? then those would fit mine? Can you explain what all you have? Were these pipes made for the indy 500?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts