Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres a ? Whats better for a twin two-stroke engine, twin pipes and can or single pipe/can combo? now we all know with a triple its always better to go all out. Putting triple pipes on a triple should be the first thing you do but we arent talking about them right now. Lots of people say twins pipes are the way to go and lots of people say single pipes r better. This goes for all twin models so let me know what all your opinions are and the facts.

·
Registered
718 Posts
single pipes are better in my opinion. twins, for peak performance, you'd always have to change your jets every time the weather changes, meaning when it gets cold, rejet, when it gets warm, rejet. i recall reading somewhere, that you could tune your single piped machine, near twin performance.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
It depends on what your doing with it, trail sled, single pipe, all out race sled, twins, the single will be more forgiving, and gives almost the same power as the twins, and is more trail friendly.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Twins will give u the most power but at a price though. They are finicky when it comes to temperature change and elevation. There is a product that is called a Automatic Temperature and Altitude Carburetor Compensator that is supposed help keep the carbs in tune during elevation or weather changes. A single is more of a trail friendly pipe that will be less finicky to weather changes, it gives ur sled a respectable boost in power in all ranges. Personally I myself would get twins and re clutch and re gear my sled so I would be able to pull some track stands from a full stop but that's just me. What ever u choose u may want to invest in a temp gauge so that u know how hot ur sled is running and to turn it off if it wants to burn up.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My wifes xc600 has twins on it, if I could afford to I would go to a single on hers and mine, my stock piped 700 will smoke her twin, clutched, geared, jetted, and studded 600.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
in the triple vs twin arguements you have to many people not looking at the physics of it. if you had a true 4 cylinder built then you would have a 4 vs 3 arguement crowd. the more power strokes per revolution you have the ability to spin higher rpms and build more power. hp is tied to rpms. if i could build a compact v-6 1000 cc two stroke i would. because engine efficiency is tied to things like flame speed, vs bore vs piston speed. on a big bore twin that flame has to travel fast to get across the bore before the piston moves to far down and you dont get enough energy conversion, you end up with a lot of raw fuel out the pipe. thats why stock a 1000 twin has 2 plugs and only spins at 7200 rpm. vs the thunder cat 1000 that spun at 8300 rpm and made about the same power stock form.

for pure hp the 1 pipe per cylinder is the best doesnt matter what the engine. but the twins are a very peaky engines, they are getting a lot better then they were a couple years ago. add in twin pipes they can become very tempermental and without efi or auto carb tunning you will have very good days and very bad days.

twin pipes that spin at the same or close to the same rpm as the stock pipe is a waste of time and money, rpms equal hp period, I will put my money on a 600 twin at 9600 rpm over an 800 twin at 8000 rpm every time. if i built a twin for aggressive riding like ditch banging or off trail riding i would have it spinning in the 8500-8700 area.

for the average joe for trail riding a single pipe is the way to go because you get a good weight loss. on some models with an aaen single you can see 20 lbs being lost, even at zero hp gain the weight loss is worth it. a single pipe is going to let you pull the rope and ride.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
great info Madcow,,,,you are a asset to this website

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Mad-Boondocker said:
Personally I myself would get twins and re clutch and re gear my sled so I would be able to pull some track stands from a full stop but that's just me.
And once you are set up to wheelie everywhere,
It will trench in and get stuck every time to even think about throttle in the loose or deep stuff.
All you need to do to make your sled wheelie like that is to loosten up the front limiter strap all the way, and tighten up the rear a little.
Then once you are tired of being stuck all the time, You can put it back and be able to ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts