Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/snofan/../images/users/Willson/Pistons 004.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/Willson/Pistons 005.jpg
Here are a couple of pictures of my latest melt down .I think it was the mag side crank seal .Hard to tell looked ok .

·
Registered
129 Posts
looks like head gasket too me...ive seen that kind of damage on m/cycle pistons with blown had gasket

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of that but I never lost any antifreeze,and couldn't see any sign of it
on the gasket when I took it off .With the
fourcorner seize marks I am wondering if it was a cold seize .I only got 30 miles out of it before it blew .I think it was screwed before I got it . The pot was also destroyed.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Two, related, maybe not problems. One, it was definitly siezed in it's lifetime. seccond, it looks like chunks of the crown are missing? Possibly detonation? Hmm, now that I look at it again... Maybe when it siezed, it broke a bearing? Still ran, but bearing chunks did their number on the piston tops? How is the case, does the crank spin smooth? Was the sled warmed up completely before attempting breakin? Aftermarket pistons, or oversize?

If you got 30 miles out of it, before it died, possibly the previous owner had recently siezed it, and sold it to you?

-Dean

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya I think it was siezed not to long before you bought it. There was definately metal shavings, or something in the cylinder, maybe something in the crank.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also think it was seized last winter,The case was ok .I did the crank and seals ,the Ski-doo dealer that I bought it from got me a rebuilt pot ,I had to look after the rest ,I am a mechanic so I did the work my self .I have mabe 220km since the o haul and it runns great It has alot more power than before .
P.S the crank had three bad bearings .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts