Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowmobile was getting 0 compression in the left cylinder so I cracked it open last night, and to my worst fears, the piston was fried. Looks as if the rings burnt up and just messed it all up.
I know I need a new piston, rings, bearing, and pin, but what do I do first about the cylinder.
I know it will probably need bored out, but one of my friends mentioned mikeing it??
Then I need some suggetsions about what order I should have everything done. one guy says buy the bored out piston first, the other says, mike it, have it bored and then get a piston??

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
586 Posts
go and have it bored first then miked ... it's easier to match a piston to the cylinder then the cylinder to the piston

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I think I'll go with brnr17 on this one, as a machinist if you buy .010 over piston's, and because of the damage I have to bore .020 over, Hmmmm Houston We have a Problem!
Rick
But Make sure you know you're bore spec's and tolerances before having any boring done!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I do have it bored then miked, what are my chances of finding the right size piston.
I keep hearing that Ski-Doo 670's were just about bullet proof and it may be hard to find a good piston.

·
Registered
586 Posts
well if you have to bore you should do both at the same time ... if you contact wiseco or someone on here who is more help then me you should have no problem finding pistons for it ... i believe wiseco sells pistons for the stock motor for most sleds but they also show how u can buy that piston for that motor if it been bored .010 or .020 over ... i think

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by brnr17
[br]go and have it bored first then miked ... it's easier to match a piston to the cylinder then the cylinder to the piston
uh, no. You always match the cylinder to a piston. You never machine a piston to match the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i just fried the pto piston in my phazer and i didnt even has to bore it out. my cousin did the work and used this acid that only eats alluminum and leaves the steel. the we just honed it and then washed it. i am up and running in 3 hours, boy my cousins work fast. don't use wiseco pistons. my cousins said they only use dthem in race applications. they will seize if you use them in normal trail applications. use kimpex if anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People keep telling me stay away from kimpex and go wiesco.
I've never heard of a wiesco seizeing up for that reason though.
I'm gonna do some searching and see what I can find, guy at a local dealership quoted me $110 to bore both cylinders and then $200 more for the pistons and kit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i unno but there are many fifferent type of piston out there but if you wanna go with wiseco do it, but i wouldn't i trust my cousins they built atleast 100 motor a year

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i am just saying some lovem' and some hatem'. i am also against them, i never had a bad experience but form what others and my cousins say i am going to stick with their word.

here are a couple topics for you that say they are good and they suck, i unno up to you. if i were you i would go with oem or spi, both are good.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62395&SearchTerms=wiseco,or

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34929&SearchTerms=wiseco,or

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20845&SearchTerms=wiseco,or

·
Registered
586 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]
Originally posted by brnr17
[br]go and have it bored first then miked ... it's easier to match a piston to the cylinder then the cylinder to the piston
uh, no. You always match the cylinder to a piston. You never machine a piston to match the cylinder.
good call your right ... thats why you BUY the piston to match the cylinder after it's done and u have the specs ... but for the average person who machines their pistons in their garage after work on a wednesday i guess youd be right

1 - 14 of 14 Posts