Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 93 XLT, I wanted to take a look at the cyliders,so I took the head off,cylinders looked good,however I notice there was movement of the pistons in the cylinders. I repaced all three pistons and rings about 2000 miles ago (SPI brand) I have starting with the pto side 119,125 and 126 (cold) compression. I notice even when new the rings were near there maximun wear limt. I did have the cylinders lightly honed before I installed the new pistons and rings.The sled runs great. should you be able to move them in the bore?--Thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Pistons move in the cylinder.... There is always a clearance between the cylinder and piston. Did you check the cylinder to piston clearance when you replaced the pistons? You hone till the cylinder is clean then mic it against the piston you are planning on putting in the motor. If the difference between the two is at or over max clearance then you get the cylinder bored and run the next size up piston. You NEVER hone and throw in a piston without checking clearance. What if the normal wear, plus the hone, on the cylinder wall puts the cylinder out of spec?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts