Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am rebuilding the topside of my '91 Yam SRV 540 due to what I have concluded is a too lean condition which burned out a head gasket and a piston (yep it is now a pissed-on) pretty badly (worse than I thought it would be until I took it all the way apart. Here is a link with more detail for those intrested:

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&TOPIC_ID=2901

Anyway, I have all my lovely new parts. Pistons (did 'em both since I went as far as I did...), rings, gaskets, reeds, etc. Already to but it back together and doh, I can't fiond the piece of paper I wrote the piston orientation on.

So does anyone know if the arrow on the top of the piston points to the exhaust of the intake side?

Thanks,
-Dave

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
It was towards exhaust on my wiseco's for my 440....

Just went out and pulled a plug to doublecheck (hate to tell you the wrong info!) Yep, arrows towards exhaust for my wiseco's.

-Dean

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
My guess is the arrow should point in the flow of the air/fuel through the motor, so yeah out the exhaust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch guys. You are all great for helping me out! It is going back together this weekend and I would hate to screw it up after the expense and work I went through......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts