Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of re-rining my pistons, but I'm trying to figure out how to got the piston back into the jug, do you have to use a special ring compressor? I tried using the one I use when I rebuild cars, but it is to long. Has anyone tried anything? I was thinking maby hose clamps or something, but that wil be my last ditch effort.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey, it really shouldn't be that hard. I take it you are trying to put the cylinders over the pistons when they are on the rods. That can be difficult sometimes. If you cant get a clamp or anything to work, take the piston off the rod and bring it over to your workbench and put it in your cylinder there. Place your cylider upside down and use both hands and slide your piston in the jug. Will be a lot easier. Put it in like an inch and then bring the piston and cylinder back to the sled together and put the piston back on the rod. Should do the trick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What kind of sled is it? I know minw has a small grove that the ring only fits in one position so it does not move. The best things I have found that work are plastice ty-wraps for compressing the ring!!!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
i used my fingernails, lol. it wasn't easy though, i'll give you that. The chamfer should compess them itself though. You are sliding the cylinder down onto the piston right?

-Dean
P.S. Mine was a mono-block too!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Yup, I use my fingernails too. It's definately a pain in the ass with the triple mono block. If you can get an extra set of hands, it helps immensely! Have a buddy hold the block while you start working the rings up into the cyliders.

G

·
0 Posts
I found this one funny, I have use my finger nails too. I did a piston and ring job on an in line 6 cyl. 2 stroke outboard. It took me and two of my buddys fingernails. Think about 6 pistons flopping around while supporting the crank and trying to stuff them into the holes. Wow.

Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts