Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am gonna put new pistons in my rxl and rings...was wondering what company most people like the most...also..cast or forged...thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Heard good things about Kimpex pistons in 650's, make sure to pay attention to piston/wall clearence with this engine, they like it tight, otherwise will eat pistons.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can try Kimpex pistons, but they are heavy and not very consistant in their weights. I have a 91 RXL, and have tried Kimpex pistons with only mediocre success. They won't take a lot of VERY HARD riding without sticking a ring or slushing a piston crown.
I recommend Wiseco forged pistons if you ride aggressive, or race. I have been running a set of .025" over Wiseco's for 5 years with no problems. Last season I unknowingly blew out a clutch side crank seal, and still rode 30 miles home. I changed the seal, and rode the rest of the season no problem. I am going to change that piston this fall because it does show skirt scores, but I don't think a Kimpex would have taken that kind of abuse without suffering a complete seizure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i ran kimpex standard pistons and they where usless , way too much clearence , if you go kimpex , get the pistons oversised to .25 or .5 and borethe cylinder to the piston . dont use the specs in the book.
After running mine for for about 20 miles after a fresh top end the skirts where scored pretty baddly ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts