Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its kind of hard to just Google this. Ive seen some people on here taking a trip to the U.P. I plan on goin mid to late Jan. Is there a good 3-5 day loop to ride with places to stay along the way and good trails?

I tried looking info up online but its hard to weed through the B.S. Im hoping someone has taken a trip and can relay to me where they went and how it was? Or give me some kind if direction?

Obviously, once this thing gets going any fellow SF members are welcome to join!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I don't know about loop rides in the area but gotta go to Houghton or Marquette.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
We stay in a White Pine, MI. near Bergland. We typically go towards Ironwood one day, Copper Harbor another day (little bit longer ride), then towards Marinesco the last day, I think thats the name anyway. Plenty of logging roads and rural clearings in that area. I will look up the name of the place we stay in a bit.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Dragon700 said:
We stay in a White Pine, MI. near Bergland. We typically go towards Ironwood one day, [highlight=yellow]Copper Harbor [/highlight=yellow]another day (little bit longer ride), then towards Marinesco the last day, I think thats the name anyway. Plenty of logging roads and rural clearings in that area. I will look up the name of the place we stay in a bit.
Make sure you go to the top of Brockway Mt.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have stayed in Grand Marais a few times now. Seems like a pretty good hub to me. Lots of good day trips to make from right there.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
TRICKPaint said:
I have stayed in Grand Marais a few times now. Seems like a pretty good hub to me. Lots of good day trips to make from right there.
My uncle has a cabin up there. One day is Trail Center (AMAZING food!) then up to Gunflint Lodge or Hungry Jack Lodge. Another day is Trestle Inn nwear Tofte and usually the last day is a boondock day or we go towards Grand Portage. These usually aren't in order, FYI.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Dragon700 said:
TRICKPaint said:
My uncle has a cabin up there. One day is Trail Center (AMAZING food!) then up to Gunflint Lodge or Hungry Jack Lodge. Another day is Trestle Inn nwear Tofte and usually the last day is a boondock day or we go towards Grand Portage. These usually aren't in order, FYI.
^ Have you been to the Bear Trap to eat. West of G.M. close to Munising, also a good day trip.
What towns are those places in. wouldn't mind checking out "Trail Center."

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dragon700 said:
TRICKPaint said:
He's talking Grand Marais in the UP not MN's Arrowhead, but i agree with all of your statements [thumb]

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
man all this talk is making me want to put money away for a trip during my breaks in the school year. The eup has some great riding too, i have never really been out west in the up but i sure hope i can this year.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
MX86 said:
Dragon700 said:
TRICKPaint said:
He's talking Grand Marais in the UP not MN's Arrowhead, but i agree with all of your statements [thumb]
Good eye! I was going to say, none of those names seem familiar to me. Thought I was really missing out;)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool cool, Come tot hink of it. I would rather not do loops and just ride out of one area. As long as there were a few days worth of places to go. I might do some Caching while im up there too. (if you dont know what that is www.geocaching.com) I might look into staying in White Pine.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'll look into the name of the place in White Pine.

http://www.thekonteka.com/ When we stay there we could get our own house.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
kingofkings said:
I don't know about loop rides in the area but gotta go to Houghton or Marquette.
Yes this is the thing to do and make sure you need to go to copper harbor. lots of boondocking, the only downfall i find is that all UP trails are to long and straight for me 60 mph all day just gets boring thats why i like wisconsin trails where you get all the windy trails and teh semi straight trails to. This is all my .02 cents because some people like the long straight trails.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
There are two places you could stay on Lake Gogebic. The Gogebic Lodge, or The Fisherman. Both are good places, The Gogebic Lodge is a lot nicer, were the fisherman's lodge is more just a place to sleep.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
MX86 said:
There are two places you could stay on Lake Gogebic. The Gogebic Lodge, or The Fisherman. Both are good places, The Gogebic Lodge is a lot nicer, were the fisherman's lodge is more just a place to sleep.
Yea, the Gogebic Lodge is nice. The place in White Pine I can't vouch for, because whenever we go, we stay in the house, which has an entire room devoted to Crown Royal.Even wall paint and wall paper. Bed sheets to....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts