Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have access to plans for a cover that will fit over a double tilting trailer?
Saw one yesterday on the highway, made out of plywood. Not a bad looking job, and a lot cheaper than fiberglass.

Let me know if any one has any ideas.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My bro and I built a cover out of wood for his double wide trailer. It was more though for summer storage so the sleds would be out of the sun and other weather elements. It is built out of plywood and 2X4's. I don't have any exact plans for it but it works really well. Even if you go down the highway doing 70mph it stands up really good.

·
Registered
425 Posts
What would something like that weigh? Isn't fiberglass lighter? I would think the vehicle towing the trailer would suck alot of gas.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I wood think that wood wood be be very heavy. Dad covered his 32 foot lowboy with steel 1" sq tubing as ribs and skinned it with thin plywood and interlocking aluminium sheeting, she is called the silver bullet.
The steel tubing ribs are re-inforced at the corners for strength, enough to support a sled from the hitch. Each sled is hung and the next one slides in underneath. This is over kill....just use steel or aluminum ribs and aluminum house siding for the sides, that way you won't have to worry about paint.
Good luck.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Do like 500 said and use steel or aluminum tubing to create ribs or a cage, then cover it with a tarp, or even fabric similar to a convertible top. It would be lite and pretty cheap too. You could modify the material to fit nice and tight all the way around. If you want aerodynamics, then shape the framework in the front to be slanted. It may not be 100% waterproof, but it will keep the majority of the outdoor elements off the sled in storage, as well as keep salt and grime off the machine.

Another idea is to use 1" steel or aluminum secured to 1/2" OSB or similar, and put up removable sides (like a wall) around the frame of the trailer, and then cover the top with a tarp or something. The tarp could be rolled back to make it easier to walk inside the trailer, plus the sides could be removed if you ever wanted them off. Make the walls only 3 or 4 feet tall, then it would be somewhat easy on the gas mileage too.

Just some ideas....
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
How much does something like sheet metal cost/weigh? couldn't you make a frame, and lay that on top and the sides. You could also make it rounded at the front...

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Unless you use really heavy material like 1/2 inch checker plate, what you will gain in aerodynamics will more than offset the added weight, but watch out for weight ratings on wheels and axles.

A tarp will work well in a pinch, but put one rib down the center to make the tarp peak in the middle so the water and snow will run off.

I've heard those fiberglass bubble domed trailers pull beautifully, just ask anybody with an Airstream trailer how a rounded edge trailer pulls.
Here is my Dads:

/snofan/../images/users/500fasenuf/airstrm.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought about using cardboard or foam sheets to mocke up a cover.then I would laminate fibergalss inside and out.then just seal the bottom edge to keep moisture out.Straight edge,razer knife,hot glue gun,paint brushes and paper cups.
Rich

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
That would be a hell of alot of cups.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I build studio props like that.

I use closed cell yellow contruction insulation board, the stuff that has foil on each side.

I cut and shape it and use construction adhesive to glue it together, then take it to my local fiberglass shop, and have it sprayed with their fibergalss gun.
I hate fiberglassing, it is a real mess, so I pay them to do it.

They built a dog house like that for a customer, and a 250 lb. guy can stand on top of it.

If you have the time to build it, it will be very strong and light.

Go for it man!!!!!!!!

Kev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts