Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot of new plastic skis in the aftermarket, and they are all expensive. I was wondering if I can put current/recent Polaris plastics skis on my 92 Indy.

It seems like they would just bolt up without any other adapter then the right bolt and rubber cup.

Has anybody tried this [?] I see used (take-off) skis from time to time that would be far better than my heavy metal...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am I right to assume that you needed the matching bolt and rubber stopper/mount thingy ?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Good question. I was thinking of getting plastic skis and had never thought of OEM Polaris skis. Some of the aftermarket skis require a adapter which could be $30 bucks.
So what is required to attach them to an older Polaris?

·
Registered
133 Posts
C&A's are a total drop in, even uses the same rubber bumper the steel ski's used.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Polaris used the same ski spindle from the mid 80's until very recently. Most OEM plastic skis should be a simple bolt on item. But beware, some of the newer Polaris sleds are now using a different spindle. I was just at the stealer (drooling over new sleds) and noticed some of the new Poo's had a different spindle. That said, I think anything off a '02 or older would work just fine, probably lots new though too. Could just get them through your dealer, then they would set you up.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
^^^ I have SLP skiis. I love them, but they are pricey, but not more so than any other aftermarket brand (C&A, Simmons, etc). Aftermarket skiis make the same ski bottom, then sell you the saddle that is appropiate for your sled brand and model type.

A OEM polaris ski will already have the saddle bolted on or molded to the ski bottom.

When I got the SLP skiis they also came with new rubber thingies. They were identical to the existing stock rubber thingies. I could of also used the existing mounting bolts if I wanted to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
^^^^ LOL, rubber thingies. . .

·
Registered
425 Posts
So out of all the aftermarket skis, which are the most reasonably priced or is Polaris OEM cheapest overall?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have an 89 Indy 650. Just purchased from my dealer a set of used 02 plastic skis that has 100 miles on them.

Just bolted right in. Looking forward to seeing if there is a difference.

Indy

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Polaris OEM will be the cheapest route to go. I've seen new or barely used ones go for between $100-$150 on ebay, amsnow, etc...Also, as Indytriple as said, contact your local dealers and see what they can do for ya.

Otherwise new aftermarket skiis will run $250+ However, you can find used ones for these as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Resurrecting this thread with a quick question... I'm putting older Polaris OEM plastic skis on a '94 XLT that came orig. with metal skis... do I use the wider rubber bushing from the metal skis or the skinnier rubber bushing that came with the plastic skis?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
the thin one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Great, thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts