Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a reverse kit on my 93 XLT, have a lot of play in the secondary, also the sled engages hard. I know the chain is adjusted right. Is it because the bottom gears are sloted and move back and forth? Is this normal, and can anything be done about it?--Thanks

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Is it play in the secondaty, or the chaincase? There should be some in each of them, a couple degrees apiece.

If you're really worried about the chaincase, pop the cover back off and watch as you move it to see where the play is.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Is it play in the secondaty, or the chaincase? There should be some in each of them, a couple degrees apiece.

If you're really worried about the chaincase, pop the cover back off and watch as you move it to see where the play is.
The chain is adjusted correct. The two bottom gears have slots or groves in them so they can come togeather. You can move each bottom gear a little bit the opposite of each other, I think that is what gives to secondary some play when you move it side to side. I just want to know if this is normal?--Mike

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yes, that is normal...

Just keep an eye on the magnet on the dipstick for the first hundred miles or so, look for chips/chunks.. (some shavings are normal)

·
Registered
807 Posts
With reverse there is like 10 or more degrees of nothing if you grab secondary and move it back and forth which is normal for a manual reverse cog system. It should not engage hard and likely your belt deflection is on the tight side. With reverse the belt deflection needs to be more than before so that belt slips removing unwanted pre-load on reverse gears at idle. Make sure reverse cable starts to move soon after pulling lever- a delayed dis-engagement will allow wear on reverse hub splines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts