Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I was asked if I would like to use the counties GPS unit to plot our clubs trails for the new county trail map. It didn't take me long to answer the ?. I am wondering if anyone has used one of these units before it is a backpack that you put on and all you have to do is ride. The only bad thing about it is that you have to ride about 10 mph in the woods and about 50 on the straight aways.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I haven't heard of this type of mapping GPS, it sounds really cool. Must be hard to run at 10 mph though. Have you used it yet?

RtkatZL8
2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
MBRP Silencer

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. As soon as the trails are open we have to pick it up from the county. We only have about 2" on the ground right now. Need alot more for the grooming to start. I can't wait to see how our clubs new groomer works this year.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I have used that stuff a variety of times. I took a whole class in school about it. The big ones in the backpacks are called trembles. They are neat, you can plot things whithin inches and download the maps of where you went on to the computer and do a whole ton of stuff with it. I ploted a whole town durring the class. It was pretty fun.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweat, I am hopeing I can use it for the website I am doing for our club. I don't know if I need software for it or not. I hope that I can use the mapping software I already have.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
i have a handheld unit from wal mart. it is called the emap. mine is pretty accurate also. i can zoom way in and walk in a circle about the size of a truck and it will plot it. I guess I can hook it up to the computer but I don't have the cable. I am getting it soon. the unit at wal mart was like 170 dollars. It will even tell me what is at the exit on the interstate i am coming up on. ex. burger king, wal mart, mc donalds, and it will tell me if they have truck parking, car wash , convience store, diesel fuel etc... stuff on ebay for the unit is dirt cheap compared to the garmin website... my emap works at any speed also. definate plus. have fun mapping..........

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
162 Posts
It would be cool if your county would use the info you gather to update their maps for snowmachiners to have access to in the future.

We don't care what you ride, just ride!
'02 550 SuperSport

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe that is what they are going to use it for. I am hopeing that I can use the data on my website that I am building for our club.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts