Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my sled was stolen a few days ago. I'm sorting things out with the insurance company now. What I would like to know is what to do to make sure my next one isn't stolen too. I'm looking for opinions on track locks, chains, etc. My sled had a throttle lock on it so the F'er obviously cut through that no problem. Basically anything you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, FYI, apparently Polaris is the easiest to steal, all you need to do is disconnect the ignition and presto, no key required. May not be news to you but it was to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Dang dude, that sucks. It has been a while since someone on SF has had their sled stolen.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sorry to hear that!
If you get it back, or get another one add a tether, and an unobtrusive on/off switch somewhere under the hood.
Alway's take the tether with the key, and turn the switch off when you leave the sled anywhere.
I admit it's not a Perfect solution, but now they have to figure out at least 3 different thing's, before they can ride away with it.
Also turn off the gas,sometime's the simplest thing's, are the hardest to figure out[:D]
Rick

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
unfortunately all sleds are relatively easy to steal. even if you disabled it so that it couldn't start, a couple people can still pick one right up and throw it in a pickup truck.

in my opinion the best way, but still not perfect, is to chain it or steel cable it to something stationary. at least then it would take more effort to steal it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
True. I've heard that most sleds are stolen by people who load them up and take off with them. Get good insurance.

Originally posted by Customized89Trail
[br]unfortunately all sleds are relatively easy to steal. even if you disabled it so that it couldn't start, a couple people can still pick one right up and throw it in a pickup truck.

in my opinion the best way, but still not perfect, is to chain it or steel cable it to something stationary. at least then it would take more effort to steal it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
wow, that really sucks! i hope everything works out for you. Your sled did look awesome anyway

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you can disconnect the ignition on cats to, to make them start without a key. Im not sure if they changed that with the newer sleds put I sure hope so.

Another thing is polaris only makes like 10 keys for all there sleds.

my dad has an 02 800 rmk I have a 96 ultra, and a 2005 900 rmk and they all take the same key. pathetic.

I think cat is the same way. my powder special has the same key as my uncles ext.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Originally posted by WY_rider
[br]you can disconnect the ignition on cats to, to make them start without a key. Im not sure if they changed that with the newer sleds put I sure hope so.

Another thing is polaris only makes like 10 keys for all there sleds.

my dad has an 02 800 rmk I have a 96 ultra, and a 2005 900 rmk and they all take the same key. pathetic.

I think cat is the same way. my powder special has the same key as my uncles ext.
Yup, you're right all Arctic Cat's keys are the same, just like Polaris.

·
Registered
963 Posts
one thing that you can do for when it is on the trailer there is a lock that you put on the tounge where the ball hooks on. that helps for not being stolen while on the trailer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
^^^^ Not all Cats are the same. my 96 Cougar is different from my 06 f6 and neither fits my buddies 03 f5.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You could pull the plug wires off the plugs and let them just sit on the plugs so it looks like there are still on but they arent.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
you can take away the belt, but if the guys took the sled and lifted it to a trailer the only thing you can do is to tie the sled to a tree or the house...[;)]

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
you could put a hidden kill switch in.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There is really no way to make your sled theft proof short of sleeping on it. If they want it bad enough they'll get it. Even if you chain it up and put a lock on it all they need is a chain cutter and it's see ya latter.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
With most arctic cats there are two keys, A's and B's look at the base of your key right near the rubber and it will say what kind you need.

My keyswitch went bad so I just have a jumper wire below the hood that would be tough to figure out if you didnt know about it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Sorry to hear about the sled. If someone wants your sled, they will get it. Try all the above options. At least then they will have to get a few guys to lift it then.

·
Registered
661 Posts
As Methuselah said, if they want it bad enough they will do anything to get it. Cut through locks or just pick it up & take it. I say, out of sight, out of mind. If possible keep it in a garage, shed. Somewhere out of sight is the best I believe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts