Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a lot of my post may sound boring but I hope I can help

I hear people all the time saying they burnt there sled down or seized a piston.

to things one after 20 seconds at wide open throttle you should start pumping the throttle every few seconds to cool the pistons

todays gas is junk BUT I have had good luck with a product called PJ'S its an octane boost and a lubricant. I mix it at 2oz pr gallon of 92octane always run 92 ,what pjs does is elimanates any knock but if you run lean you will go into a cold burn and you will slow down instead of running faster and faster until it seazes
it feels wierd to be going across the lakes and start to lose speed you just start pumping the throttle and let the sled coast down to let the engine cool but its better than being towed hope this helps someone !!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
hmmm

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't like to put aditives in my gas. I like to run clean fuel as much as possible. Sometimes when your on the trail you have to run the lower octanes just to gas up so you can make it to the next stop. I recently moved and the gas staion down the road has 110 octane at every pump. I know were I am going to get my gas at now.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
110 octane at a regular gas station??? Isn't that 100 LL (low lead), aka AVGAS, aka airplane fuel.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
322 Posts
My uncle has seized up a sled before by letting off the throttle at 115...blew a piston up.

About gas aditives, that HEET stuff is pretty good, especially if you have water in yer gas. There is a gas station in Alpena that ALWAYS has water in their gas, so we buy some there and put it in all of our sleds.

I may be young, but I ain't dumb!!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aviation fuel will slow your sled down a lot
if your are in a place where all there is, is 87octane just becareful and dont do to much wide open throttle normal trail riding will get you to the next station. polaris has the key to switch for poor fuel ski doo has dpm artic has efi and yamaha has detonation control

when you are racing youre friends on the lake dont just drop the hammer to slow down pump the throttle when you drop the throttle your engine is slowing down from high rpm while your carbs are supplying idle fuel

·
Registered
95 Posts
Though they're not available just everywhere, there are fuels that have octane ratings in the 100's. "Turbo Blue" is one and another I think is called "Cam2". They offer octane ratings as high or higher than airplane fuel, but don't run near as hot as airplane fuel. The airplane fuel available in my area of WI goes about 104 octane but runs way too hot for use in sleds or bikes. Maybe some of you have been able to get by using this, but the chance of piston and/or rod failure increases with airplane fuel.

As for additives, I think they're fine as long as they are not causing damage to internal carb parts or reducing lubrication. With the sporatic snow fall, I like having something in my gas that will help stabilize fuel, get rid of moisture, and keep carbs clean.

TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
FYI

All octane does is slow down the rate at which gas burns. That is why a machine that runs 92 octane can have a farther advanced timing than one that runs 87 octane. If your timing is set right for 87 octane, there will be no problems running it.

Everyone around here runs 87 octane, and I know of many sleds that have over 10,000 miles on them before ever opening up the engine.

When slowing down from WOT just slowly pull your thumb back, no need to "pump" as that would be damn annoying, having the machine lurching while trying to slow down. Don't let your carbs just hammer shut, slowly close them, as to stick with engine RPM.

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
aviation fuel will not slow your sled down, if your sled is set up for it. If you run a high compression, advanced timing machine, you need high octane or the fuel will pre ignite causing the engine to blow up.

High octane doesn't mean high quality fuel. Just to let you know.

I also don't put additives in my gas, I do use octane boost with 87 octane fuel though because my machine has high compression and advanced timing.

If the sticker under your hood says you can run 87 octane gas, you can run 87 octane gas. If your machine is set stock anyway.

I love B&M Coasters!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
i got ufo's i my carbs and i don't know why but once i put 87 in to see what it would do and it ran like crap. real boggy. dumped in dry gas, 93 oct. and full speed ahead.

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
a good setup sled shouldn't have to pump the throttle. A modified one should. My 1996 XCR 600 was jetted down pretty big and I could hold her WOT across a lake for miles and miles and have absolutely no problems. THe modified sleds I ride with have to start blipping the throttle like that. My Dad likes the stock VIper cause he can do that. Well when it doesn't blow a piston doing other stuff first.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I always blip or pump the throttle during slow down after a full throttle blast. After all what cools the combustion chamber............fuel. No fuel no cool.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
very good p-man a sled set up for it. a stock engine is not set up for it and will barley run.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Jon is right, if you are running av gas in your machine that is set for 87 octane fuel, it won't run right, the fuel takes too long to burn, and your piston is too far down on the power stroke before all the fuel is burnt.

I love B&M Coasters!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts