Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two 88 yamaha exciters, with the #9 plugs in them now. One of them fouls plugs often and the other takes some time to wrap up, once it's wraped up it's very responsive but you have to "dig it out of the hole" if it's been idling for very long.
I'm new to sleds, my buddy says he would run some hotter plugs. #8's maybe. What would you guys recomend. My manual calls for 9's.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
don't change plug heat ranges to reduce plug fouling. If the manual says 9 stay with 9's and tune around that. It seems you probably have crappy jetting(too rich or un-syncronized), crappy oil, or possibly low compression.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess it's time to tear apart the carbs and clean them out. I think it's got to be bad jetting our fouled carbs. Runs fine above 2500 rpms so maybe it's just the main jet needs adjusted.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That,s the low speed circuit. There is a smaller jet screwed into a hole right next to the main jet tower. That is the pilot jet, and they plug up often.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Crimsonride. your probly running NGK BR9ES try a set of BR9EV plugs they might cost a little more but they'er less prone to fouling the differance is the ev's have a finer electrode but still retain the same heat range hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 90 exciter and i also have to run br9's i wanted a race style plug so i went with the BR9EG,i like them i havnt fouled one yet since i switched to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
by the way those are NGK plugs, also if you have the correct manual for your sleds it has a chart for the right jetting at the right elevation

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right, Thanks for the advice, I've picked up some new BR9ES, I think I might need to adjust the oil injection on the one sled that fouls, it seemed oil fouled and might be running rich. I'll try the ev and eg plugs and see if that solves my problem.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
How long are you letting the sleds idle. I've found you don't want to let sleds, especially the older ones sit and idle any longer than you have to or they will load up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My red one will load up in less than 30 seconds, my black one can idle for for as long as you want. I know the carbs on the red one aren't sinced because I can hear one slide bottom out before the other. And I'm sure the black isn't mixing right or is too rich since the oil fouls the plugs after an hour or so of riding.
I'm trying to locate a carb rebuild kit for both of them so I can tear them apart and tune them. They both idle high and I doubt either of them are sinced. I just got the sleds and it looks like they both have amature tuneup jobs done to them so I'm going to rebuild and tune and see where that leaves me. How does that sound?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts