Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I wouldn't.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our meeting tonight, we discussed doing a poker run to raise interest in the club and raise some funds funds, we don't have much of a plan yes. I'm curious, would you be interested (forgetting that it might not near you). Also to anyone who has done one before, any tips?

·
Registered
58 Posts
my last tournament was last year December 26, 2009.

we were atleast 50 players with $50 buy-in. unlimited rebuy for the first hour.

First place was $1675, second $1000, third $750

and i was first placeé

·
Registered
244 Posts
In every single poker derby I've been in/volunteered at there is always a major lack of volunteers. Many say they will help and in the end the burden of the derby falls on a select few of your club.
We always have 1 hand for $10 or 3 for $20. Last year i believe we were around 110 sleds not including inside hands.

Basically to have a good derby you need :
-Friendly staff at each checkpoint
-Food and drinks available along the way
-Good weather can make or break your derby very quickly
-The trails must be marked out very well and safe
-Date, make sure it isn't conflicting with other clubs derby's
-Dedicated people to groom trails, make posters, spread word, general labor type duties
-Needs to be well advertised
I'm probably missing many things, but I think you get the idea.

It takes many hours of planning and labor to have a successful derby that people will come back again to.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
What club do you guys belong to?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sledneck1978 said:
What club do you guys belong to?
Buffalo Snowriders, I'm the VP of the club with my cousin being Pres.

Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've never done one before, but have been curious about giving it a try. Might be interested depending on availability.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i went to one and it was a dissaster. bunch of old guys that literally rode past the scary limit of sense to get to each bar, it would take maybe an 1/2 hr to an hour of riding to sit at a bar for 1 hour. then ride like freakin assholes again to sit for 2 hours. we started at 8 am and at 7 pm we were at the 5th bar and only had 60 miles, i finally left and went riding for the night.

i would do it but I dont like to see riding and drinking getting mixed. other wise i am all for a fun run.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
They use to have them around here(southern MN)
But the dnr and cops watched the trails, had planes flying over head.

busted anyone going 2 mph over the speed, stop signs, wreckless, you name it people where getting busted for it.

no one has them any more. I put I would attend... meaning a poker ride...sorry not yours, to far ;)

I'm doing a vintage/family ride again this year Jan.8
slow pace 35-40 mph ....less chance someone getting hurt and the club sued.
The next day where having our radar run.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
^^ this year we will have to meet up in waconia!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would do it in a heart beat man I just live in maple lake,and i know i could get at least 10 other people from town to do it. Just keep me posted.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sambell said:
I would do it in a heart beat man I just live in maple lake,and i know i could get at least 10 other people from town to do it. Just keep me posted.
If you don't mind me asking whats your name? I have alot of family that life in and around maple lake, I life west of Buffalo on Abbie Lake.

EDIT: Nevermind, I opened my eyes, Sam Bell sambell. Duh! Do you know any of the Paumens?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts