Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Polaris xlt special,looking for info on extending it to a 136 i have already came across a set of 136 rails.Im going to bolt my stock suspension to them not to sure if I have drill new holes to mount them?Any info would greatly help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
I'm almost entirely postive you can't bolt the short track torque arms onto the longtrack rails.
Especially since your '93 XLT has the 8" suspension, and 136" rails were only on xtra-10 and xtra-lite 136 suspensions. The parts are not compatible with each, the geometry will way off.
Also, you have to make 100% sure you know the exact length of the rails. There were 121" and 133.5" lengths for the standard 8 inch suspension. And then there was 121" 133.5" and 136" lengths for xtra-10. It is common that people mistake the 133 for the 136.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
I'm almost entirely postive you can't bolt the short track torque arms onto the longtrack rails.
Especially since your '93 XLT has the 8" suspension, and 136" rails were only on xtra-10 and xtra-lite 136 suspensions. The parts are not compatible with each, the geometry will way off.
Also, you have to make 100% sure you know the exact length of the rails. There were 121" and 133.5" lengths for the standard 8 inch suspension. And then there was 121" 133.5" and 136" lengths for xtra-10. It is common that people mistake the 133 for the 136.
whats beter on these xlt's? go with a xtra 10 or 12? pro's n con's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
The xtra 10 is more of a ditch banging suspension and the xtra 12 more of a trail touring. I would definitely get the xtra 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
TylerC said:
The xtra 10 is more of a ditch banging suspension and the xtra 12 more of a trail touring. I would definitely get the xtra 10.
what lengths do the extra 10 come in and whats the best xtra 10 on a wedge chassis? i have plenty of power with my 650 in my xlt. i have a chance to get a xtra 10 with a 2 inch paddle track for $100 i been thinking about it but was wondering if it would be good or bad for my riding. i love to ditch bang and do a lot of trail riding in central wisconsin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
There was the 121" the 133.5" and the 136" Xtra-10s.
I prefer the 121" because it is coupled, the 133 and the 136 are not. A 2 inch paddle track would be useless in MN, as I'm sure it would be in WI too. That's just too much track for trail riding. Not to mention it wouldn't fit under your tunnel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,109 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
There was the 121" the 133.5" and the 136" Xtra-10s.
I prefer the 121" because it is coupled, the 133 and the 136 are not. A 2 inch paddle track would be useless in MN, as I'm sure it would be in WI too. That's just too much track for trail riding. Not to mention it wouldn't fit under your tunnel.
The EXTRA-10 skids are all coupled. This includes the SKS & RMK. The EXTRA lite skids are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
hmmm, I was mistaken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I have found both. My 97 XTRA-10 121" was coupled (the shock and shock rods are attached to the front torque arm and the rear wishbone). I have installed 136" RMK rails and had to order a rear shock pivot arm which will connect the rear shock and shock rods to the rails. So with this set-up the front and rear will be independent from each other. This shows up pretty good in the sevice manual and is more evident in the parts breakdown. It was a frustrating lesson, but I am still glad I have gone with OEM rails as opposed to the rail extensions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
TylerC said:
Are the 136" rails you installed from a 2000 or newer rmk?
No, they are from a 98 or 99.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top