Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This of all I'm brand new to snowmobiling and I love the sport.. this is my very first snowmobile ... it is the Polaris 2003 Fontier Touring.. so far great machine.. However out of ignorance I left it idling too long and it over heated and the radiator fluid reservoir split in the seam and the fluid spewed out of it.. I shut it off with the ignition key.. I've taken it to the dealer and he says that it will be okay.. Questions..
1) What is your opinion of this machine and
2) Do you think that I did permanent damage to the machine by letting it overheat.. Now I know better than to let it idle for too long..
3) Can you tell me of any weak areas to be aware of with this particular sled?

http://www.polarisindustries.com/product/detail.asp?ContentID=03SNOTWOXFRONTIERTOURING

·
Registered
892 Posts
Does the four stroke cooling resevoir have a dump hose on it or a check valve? I do not know why it would not. I find it odd that the resevoir split, sounds like there was air is the line that was not able to escape as it expanded.

How long did you leave it idle? What was the temp outside?

I have not seen the sled at all (no snow to be on the trail to see one), so I really have no opinion on the sled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was idling for about 20 min.. the temp was about 15 degrees F... it has an overflow spout.. it is weird that the reservoir split.. it is under warranty.. we have tons of snow this winter

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sounds like a poor job of circulating the air out of the cooling system during prep.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Swamp as i have posted before. Polaris had some bad coolant bottles that would warp and distort before the temp got too high. The pressure cap should blow by before any damage is done. I'm sure the dealer will put the improved bottle on for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really do like my 4 stroke so far.. outside of the radiator problem of course..

How do Polaris sleds stack up against the competition in overall quality, reliability, etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi.. Last winter there was virtually no snow...

And now a new winter is upon us.. hopefully with some snow...

well my poloris frontier touring 2003 has had a ton of recalls.. the primarily one just occurred as i understand it and has to do with the headlight going off on it's on and the machine tending to run on only one cylinder.. Anyways this problem has pleged me since i had the machine.. I called my dealer the other day and he told me that polaris issued a recall that would change out a major portion of the wiring harness.. This is supposed to correct the headlight going out and the machine from running on one cylinder which happens periodically..

Anyways this machine has been a nightmare to me.. Hopefully this recall and fix will indeed FIX the problems with the machine.. I like the idea of a 4 stroke... I wish i had waited and got the artic cat 4 stroke.. but i was young and dumb and didn't do my homework...

I think polaris just stuck a modified atv engine in my snowmobile and i'm fairly pissed off about that.. I think artic cat did a lot more designing and engineering with their 4 stroke sled engines.

If this fix doesn't fix the machine i'm going to request a customer settlement with polaris finance company or request a dealer bid.. If it comes to that i hope it doesn't ruin my credit.. Any advice or opinions are welcomed..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts