Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, I am trying to find a polaris 340 txl to put a race engine in. Well I might have found myself a nice condition mid 1980's 340 indy. It doesn't have electric start, or anything like that. It is just a plane Jane sled. Now comes the BIG QUESTION!!! Can someone tell me if my 340 TXL engine is a direct bolt up for the "I think" 1985 340 indy? The TXL sleds were made up to I believe 1982. Now did they chage the motor or mounts when the stopped production on the TXL and came out with the indy? I might be making one hell of a drive to get this sled so I need exact info if I can put my 340 TXL engine into the 340 Indy sled. I know someone here knows the answer so if you do, please post. Any info will be great!!! Thanks soo much. Scott

Wanted!! Polaris 340 TXL any Polaris 340 or TXL. "[email protected]"

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Hmm, I dont think you would get it to fit easy, bit I am not saying you can't make if fit.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Is your indy 340 a liquid cooled like the TX-L engine is?

Ride Polaris!

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
The 340 fan and the 340 TXL are completly different engines. The crankcase is different. Also the fan engine uses the smaller P90 clutch's and the TXL uses the larger P85 clutch's. You have to use the orginal clutch or else have a newer one bored to accept a longer crankshaft. The TXL had a longer crankshaft than the fan but shorter than the one the free air engines used. You would also need to add the liquid cooling to the chassie. I think it would be Quite a job to make it fit into the fan sled. The TXL engine also was not an oil injection motor. The oil has to be mixed with the gas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I do believe as erick put the 340 indy is a fan cooled engine. I was wondering if it was a simple unbolt the 340 fan and bolt in my 340 txl liquid and install the liquid cooling part. "maybe i could find the liquid components at a snowmobile junkyard" But I have to thank erick for the amazing detail and knowledge of these sleds. I see that it isn't a simple engine swap but if I would do the task, I would have to make a special plate to get the correct alignment with the driven clutch. I am not about to do this much work for such a old ski but the info you gave me is outstanding. I thank you kindly for taking the time to post this help. Sincererly, Scott Z.

Wanted!! Polaris 340 TXL any Polaris 340 or TXL. "[email protected]"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the first Indy was the TX-L Indy (L for liquid) in 1980.The engine was the EC 340PL series.This same series was used in Indy's with 340cc engines 'til the 340 Indy was dropped in about '84 or '85 when the 440 Trail came out.The last TX-L was probably '79.It also used the EC34PL engine so any rigid frame 340 LC engine should fit an early '80's 340 Indy.If nothing else I know you can rebuild a TX-L 340 with pots,heads,pistons,ettc. from an '83 TX-L Indy because I've done it.Check with any long-time Polaris dealer.......his partsman should be able to help you out.When I worked at a dealership in the 80's we only had about 4 models and there was a lot of interchangeability of parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts