Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to forum. Looking to pick up a sled to mess around the house with the kids.

Local shop has a "rebuilt" polaris 340 spint 1989 asking 900$ for it.

Is this a decent price or should I offer lower?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Pending on where you are at. I would say more the 700-800 range in MN. But, from a dealer you can expect to pay a bit more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im here in NH . Not a dealer, they are a cycle shop. When I called they said that they replaced a bunch of stuff on it. Also said the side of the front body shell is cracked.

700-800?

1,792 Posts
gra31 said:
Im here in NH . Not a dealer, they are a cycle shop. When I called they said that they replaced a bunch of stuff on it.

700-800?
Like what? If they didn't put in new/rebuilt clutches and carbs and have perfect compression to start with, then it'd be overpriced definitely.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
^^Exactly, call them back and find out what they have replaced on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Id move on. I just saw an ad for an old arctic cat lynx for 200 bucks, runs great with new coil and cdi. Jeez for 900 bucks you can buy something a little newer and have some money left over for helmets, gear, etc. Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so the guy sounded a little frustrated with my questions.

He apparently "went through" the whole thing

asked about the clutches, carbs, and compression.

stated he replaced or re-built the carbs and clutches. states its compression is excellent and all greased ...ready for snow.

I wish I knew more about this stuff.

wonder if I walked in with 650 cash in hand and made offer.

sorry for the neophyte questions. I do appreciate your wisdom on this guys. Just looking for some fun for the kids and myself this winter.

g

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd say that is way too much. I checked out Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com), but they only go back to 1990....and that sled "lists" for $485.

We just picked up a 1991 Polrais Indy 500 on CraigsList for $700....my girlfriends ride now. The seller was asking $800. Granted I had to do some work to it (chaincase seal for $10, tie rod and some cosmetic type parts from the local sled salvage yard for $25, bleed the brake system, adjust the skis), but for a nearly 20 year old sled it is really pretty nice...we shopped the "net" for about a month before we bought it.

The same salvage yard had a sled similar to what you are looking at but needed work they would have done....$500 range is what they were asking.

I'd say keep looking!

Burch

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think thats a bit over priced. Id look around more on craigslist or something like that and im sure you could find a better deal. jmo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts