Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 500 efi sks and there are a few problems. First it would start fine but would not idle and would not rev past 4000 rpm. Theres a brown wire that came from the thing under the battery box that was not hooked up but the thing is all corroded under thing. Also theres 2 blue wires that go into 1 connector that looks as it could plug into part of the ignition but its just hanging there. Also it has an extra plug by the ecu that the owner thought at one time went to some type of add on. Anyone know of this? Thanks

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The plug by the ECU is the test port for servicing the sled..

Look for a blinking light on the ECU, if it's blinking, it will be spitting out an error code to help you diagnose issues. Long blinks then short blinks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I found some wires that had gotten burnt and i fixed them and put the battery on the charger now it will idle fine but i get code 14 which is the coolant sensor and i was taking a look and someone has added a toggle switch that hooks into one of the wires going to the sensor. That has me completely confused.

Well I found some wires that had gotten burnt and i fixed them and put the battery on the charger now it will idle fine but i get code 14 which is the coolant sensor and i was taking a look and someone has added a toggle switch that hooks into one of the wires going to the sensor. That has me completely confused.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have another up date. I now have no codes but I will set there and run good but the idle likes to start creeping up and then if i shut it off and let it sit I have to pull the plugs and clean them up good to get it restarted. This is really starting to get annoying we I think I have it good to go it never is. Also I did some inspection and I found a couple track problems I gotta fix but is there anything else i should be looking over. Thanks

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The ECU is supposed to run for several minutes after the engine is shutoff, then shut itself down. When the ECU shuts down, it defaults to cold startup mode and dumps a bunch of fuel to start the motor. When the engine is warm it doesn't need this, so it fouls the plugs.

Check the keep-alive relay with the schematic and VOM. Or you can just start then turnoff the sled, and listen for the relay to click in 6 to 12 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts