Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read where Polaris has improved the 550 fan for power and fuel economy, anbody know how much horepower a 2004 has [?]

Is a modern fan louder or quieter than a liquid ? I've never had a fan but may consider one. I keep hearing stories about hot mag cylinders, running problems in warmer weather etc. It sounds like a temp-a-flow would solve some of those problems.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not sure about the power, the web should have something on that, or a dealer will no.

However can't tell any difference on noise level. My neighbour has one and its just as load as my liquid. Indeed fans do have issues in warmer weather with poorer performance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am surpised that I haven't seen it published anywhere yet. They now offer the engine in the Pro X chassis as well as most other lines. I wonder what the horsepower was for previous years. They don't post on their site or literature for any sled.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
According to the Artic Cat site (which posts HP figures for their sleds)...the AC Z570 produces 70hp. So I would guess the Poo 550 is somewhere around there.

G

·
0 Posts
I have been riding fan sleds for years. Actally my first liquid was last winter. I have a 2001 550 RMK trail. Wonderful sled. No problems with the hot days. When all the liquid sled guys are crying the blues about lack of snow for cooling the liquid, the fanner just goes right on ticking away. I ride my Summit liquid most of the time now cuz I like the power, but when spring comes and the snow is thin, I get out the 550 fan. For the most part of the last 2 decades I rode a Yamaha Phazer fan. Never any heating problems with them either.

D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
D Noel,

Which liquid are you comparing the fan to ?

Do you find the fan sled dramaticly different or does it just not have the top end speed ?

I'm thinking about a new 2-up and not sure whether I'm willing to go the additional 2 grand for the liquid. I'm not storming ditches or lake racing...

G

·
0 Posts
Brs,
Not really much of a comparison. I ride a 700 Summit that has been modified. The fan 550 has good power and is a great sled for the right person. I just love it in the spring and in tight wooded deep snow. It is light, easy to turn and manuver, and when you get it stuck it doesn't take 3 guys to pull it out. The summit has the point and shoot power. Point it up the hill and jam on the gas. Lots of power, easy to get into trouble. For an easy day fo riding I prefer the 550 RMK. The new 550 comes with the EDGE chassis and from what I here a little more power. For cruzen and taking easy rides on trails, I cannot think of a better sled. Easy on gas, quiet, and the ride of the polaris EDGE is great. The 550 I have has been bullet proof. I ride it pretty hard, and in the worst conditions. I save my Summit for the good snow. I would say you would make a good choice with the 550 for your kind of riding. Save about $3000 and go wth the 550.

D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D Noel,

Thanks for the advice, it's just the type of comparison I wanted to hear.

thx [:)]

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got something to say,HEY nice sled looks like a renegade or maybe a adrenaline.anyway what i was going to say before i was sidetracked was THERES NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT in other words GO BIG OR GO HOME learned that one at a early age .

G

·
0 Posts
That is my Summit 151"X 2". My polaris is in a different town. There is a picture of it in the mountain riding forum.

D

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a Polaris 550 2003 and it is rated at 65hp. The 04's are supposed to be about 4 more hp. Great sled, never had any problems even on 35 degree days. Runs with most of the big boys on the trails and only gets lost in the wide open sapces/lakes on top end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts