Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 550 Polaris but have heard that they are real dogs for top end.I am now riding a 98 xc 600 and realize that the 550 fan will not have as much power but I have more than i need now.Will the 550 do 90-95 mph with stock gearing?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i have a 550. The acceleration on low-mid range is GREAT, even without studs.

AS for top end, most people here say it will do 85.

If i had a 600 liquid, though, i sure as hell wouldnt go to a fan, unless i didnt care at all for speed and such.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would agree you will miss the power. I wnet from an XLt to a ss550 . I had mine up to 90 but i was on the lake with about an inch of snow, and it took a long time! Usually 75-80 tops. But it is light which has it's good points.

Rich

G

·
I have a 550 RMK. SLOOOOW. It will top out at about 65 MPH. It is a great sled and really dependable but not real fast.

D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 91 liquid 500 and it'll do 90 on semi-smooth field. Only way i'd go with the 550 fan is if it was alot lighter than my sled. I do alot of ditch banging and i hate to muscle my sled around.
Just my $.02
Justin

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Originally posted by D Noel
[br]I have a 550 RMK. SLOOOOW. It will top out at about 65 MPH. It is a great sled and really dependable but not real fast.

D
65 thats it? Does the longer track slow it down?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Your long track sleds are typically slower, but 65 is really slow. My brothers 01 550 is quick with a top end of 85. If lake speed is what you want, avoid the fan cooled sleds. If trail riding at lower speeds (55-65) is what you are after, they are great sleds.

As long as it is Polaris....it can't be too bad!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the opinions, I am not after alot of speed(usaly run 50-60 mph) but if I run into slush(jikes!!!!) and sometimes I do when we go into a camp I want enough power to get me up through it without bogging down.

G

·
Yea, the longer track sleds are geared alot slower than the short trackers. The also gear them lower because of the power loss at higher elevations. I also insalled a 144" X 2" paddle track.

·
Registered
366 Posts
mine goes throught slush with no problems. I towed an MXZ through slush with it 2 weekends ago.

Rich

·
Registered
553 Posts
Now that Im nearing 40, I have slowed down, (way down) and now ride the old dependable indy trails. Mine will top out at 80mph. and I usually average 45-50 on trails. I have ridden my buddies 550 and its great for a fan. More than enough power for what Im after. And also very reliable sled. The indy 500's are great too. A very good all around liquid sled.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info,I've gone past 40 skidded into 50 and better slow down or I may not last to 60. I think I will see if I can get a good deal in a couple weeks on a 550 or maybe 500xc( or maybe a 500 rev)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I may just be getting old but I think most sleds are just way to fast. My sled will go 80 instantly and it's not at half throttle. I too thought of getting a new Supersport for the suspension. It would be hard to ride with all the other 700's when you hit the lake. I can remember when 340 was a fast sled and 60 MPH was tops. I had just as much fun then when everyone was going the same speed, and trails didn't seem so rough.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with you totally ,it used to be more fun because if you messed up there was more chance that you were not going to kill yourself, the only problem with a smaller sled is trying to keep up on the open lakes, it is more fun to work a light sled in the trails then just get on a lake and whoever has the most HP (and money) has the fastest sled

·
Registered
648 Posts
I must be getting old. My 94 XCR scares me when I crack it open. 60 mph is plenty fast enough for me.

Glenn

1 - 20 of 28 Posts