Snowmobile Fanatics banner

polaris 550cc fan

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  ASpin 
#1 ·
We just purchased a Polaris 550 Classic and a Super Sport (both 2003)

I know they both have the same 550cc fan engine in them, so I was just going to ask what you guys know/like/dislike about this perticular fan cooled twin. Any tips on getting max performance out of her?

Thanks a lot guys!

G
#3 ·
I have a 2001 RMK 550 fan. Great engine. Needs nothing but gas and oil to perform flawlessly. As with any sled, jet and clutch for your elevation. Congratulations on a great pair of sleds. I also ride a 700 Summit. Each sled has it's good points but I would have to say the 550 fan is one of the most durable engines around.

D

#4 ·
I personally like the fan engines because speed is not what Im all out for. I like the dependability of them. I heard somewhere else on this forum awhile ago, that the top speed of the new supersport is around 85-90. For me thats great. Even my trail 488 fan is fast up to 60 like most of the other stock liquid cooled sleds and tops out shy of 80mph. Like jag340 mentioned they are weighted well and handle great. As far as performance upgrade I would stick to clutching myself. Because of being a fan I wouldnt do much with engine mods.

TXC

#6 ·
Excelleration is great! The sled wont do in the 90's for top end. But up to say 60-65 mph. It flys like other liquid sleds the same cc size. A very good rider can keep up with bigger liquid cooled sleds on a trail with even my indy trail 488cc
Nice sleds and welcome- TXC

#10 ·
I have a 550 fan in a sport touring. Bought used and this is my 3rd winter with it. Cleaned carbs that is all I have had to do, and a light bulb in the dash. I Live in the artic and see lots of them- never abandoned on the trail. People like the fan cooled. Great snowmobile for it's purpose.

#12 ·
550 motor is exelent for warm days, and newer models have much improved reliabilty, however...under extreme cold or racing(like a 16 year-old!) the 550 has been known to give up the gohst! just ride it like your payin for it.

#13 ·
TXC, I believe that mine will go about 80, maybe a little more, thats with a 70 lb dog, saddle bags with the necessary stuff one should have with them. But with the dog it's hard to see the speedo at that speed. I find that these machines are great in cold weather, just let them warm up, and no problems. I have a more powerful snowmobile for powder down south- wouldn't have it up here. Will pay more attention to top speed when out next. Don't go flat out that often- just for a check now and again.

#15 ·
Fan cooled motors are fine in my opinion. I have a 90 Yamaha SRV and it has a 540 fan motor. Very dependable. With liquid cooling comes more problems due to it having more moving parts, but for speed and performance can't beat em. I think the SS is a awesome sled. Thought about buying one several times myself. I'm sure your going to have a blast on it.

#19 ·
I have a 2000 SS with 1200 miles on her. got it when it was as 200 miles, and i've never once had any problems with it, Ever.it's a blast to ride and i love it. just tune the clutches and jet it right and it's a beautiful sled. mine tops at around 87, but i never really go that fast, so. Well i guess i just wanted to say that after having it three years its been super reliable, and it has always started when i wanted to go for a ride.[:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.