Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard 2 local reports of oil pumps failing, something in the drive gear, both resulted in failure of the motor, under 1000 miles on each. I think both were '06s, anyone else heard of anything? located in Central New York!

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I work part time at a local sled shop and we havn't had any issues.

One of my buddy has 2 of them with no issues. Where did you hear about this??

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's the first I've heard of it also...
Almost 3000 miles on mine and have only had to change a few belts.[^]

Mine did run rich on oil for the first 500 miles but is alot better now. Never bothered adjusting the pump at all.

I think if it was a known faulty gear, they would issue a service bulletin asap. See if you can dig up more on it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Originally posted by xc700_02
[br]That's the first I've heard of it also...

Mine did run rich on oil for the first 500 miles but is alot better now. Never bothered adjusting the pump at all.

I think if it was a known faulty gear, they would issue a service bulletin asap. See if you can dig up more on it.
I've heard that Polaris has a mechanism to tune up their injectors the first 500 miles or so then it leans out. Not sure if its true or not.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Very possible on the CFIs. When my dad bought his 97 ultra the dealer recomended he come back for service after 200 miles to adjust the oil. We saw there little adjustment and did it ourselves. You could see plier marks where they bent the oil linkidge so it was oil rich. We straightened the rod and then she was good. The dealer prolly woulda charged $30 or some crap for their little adjusment.
He has a 06 600 switch now and no troubles.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by XCRacer440
[br]
Originally posted by xc700_02
[br]That's the first I've heard of it also...

I've heard that Polaris has a mechanism to tune up their injectors the first 500 miles or so then it leans out. Not sure if its true or not.
No chip, although ski doo does.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just local stuff here, guy who works on my clutching has alot of friends who ride polaris's, asked me to check around, seems very isolated as far as i can tell. two different dealers same end result with low mileage. Let's hope these are just extreme cases, no dealers have heard anything as far as i can tell either...

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
3400 miles on mine, never any issue. I did change my carb boots last night though, those were cracked all to hell. That was a recall though.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
1870 on mine almost 2200 on my dads sled. no problems yet. did have our carb boots changed, i got a new gas tank, had our throttle cables re-routed due to them kinking because of the rider select, people were complaining of some hoses getting worn on the recoil or something but no problems with ours.

my dad throttle cable did fray and break in michigan last year. we had taken care of at dans polaris in houghton.... we rode from houghton to copper harbour after we got the sled back and my dads sled used about 1/4 to 1/2 quart. i think i put atleast a quart in mine. so i think they might have leaned it out a little. but we had that problem resolved too.

and Xc 700 02......... how are you blowing belts on your sled........doesnt seem right to me

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by Bmxican
[br]
and Xc 700 02......... how are you blowing belts on your sled........doesnt seem right to me
Nothing extreme, I blew my first belt with only 212 miles on it and dealer had no problem throwing me another one and I showed him the belt and you could tell it was defective (threads separated bad), then blew another one late last year (at around 2k miles) while doing a long WOT in 2 feet of softer snow. [:I] Just bought another new one and lined up my clutches and she's good to go.[:p]

P-Man, I also had my carb boots changed a few weeks ago for the recall, but they weren't too bad.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I've blown 3 belts in 3400 miles, the last one pissed me off, I got a new bellypan last year on warranty and when this belt blew it made a HUGE crack in my new bellypan.

Talked to Polaris, they won't replace it. "blowing the belt wasn't our fault"

Jerks.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Speaking of blowing belts this just happened last night. I came to a stop and then put her to the bars. When I got to about 60 mph, BOOM!!!, and the track locked up for a second then started rolling again and I locked up the brake and shut it off as soon as I could. That long skinny piece was in my primary and my secondary but also managed to get it self wrapped around the hump where the bolt and adjuster is to. The bigger piece was partially under and in the primary at the same time. And as you can see there were many chunks of belt that separated from the top cogged part of the belt. It bent my clutch cover up and what the back pin goes into so I gotta try to bend that back. It hit the cover so hard my spare belt jumped out of the holder and was up by my exhaust pipe. Theres burnt rubber all over the primary, secondary, clutch cover, and bellypan guard. And that belly pan guard is bent very bad, most of it is pressed against the belly pan. It also ruined the plastic grooves where the speedo cable sits in and I saw that it hit my speedo cable but I need to look at it in detail tomarrow. Do you think its worth taking to a Polaris dealer over or will they tell me to get lost?? I don't think a belt should just fall apart like that. The pieces that separated do not look at all like they were cut by the guard, it looks like they simply just pulled apart from each other. The sleds got 2300 miles on it and there has been 2 different belts used on it. Would the fact that it may be the original have something to do with it??
By the way that is one of our dogs toys in the upper right hand corner of the pic. in case you were wondering
[attachment=59544]

Attachments

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
They will laugh at you as there is not much of a warrenty on the belts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also live in central NY and my uncle just bought a 600 HO fusion and did have this problem. It did it twice before the shop was able to find out what exactly was the problem. his sled didnt have 300 miles on it, I believe. I will talk to him and get more info for you guys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JUst blew the snot out of my rmk 700 2006 with 15 hours on it brought it to the dealer and he said 45 hundred damage had no warrenty but gave me a heck of a deal 1000$ for labour flat now thats a sweet dealer but ****ty for the poo

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]I've blown 3 belts in 3400 miles, the last one pissed me off, I got a new bellypan last year on warranty and when this belt blew it made a HUGE crack in my new bellypan.

Talked to Polaris, they won't replace it. "blowing the belt wasn't our fault"

Jerks.
what have you done toy uor sled to make it blow three belts already?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts