Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
My question is about the Polaris Liberty 800 twin engine from 2000 to present.I am looking at getting a new sled or a slightly used sled in an 800, or 700 XC or ProX. Was there any problems with the 800 motors that is common? I've had people tell me that the 800 motor is bad for cranks and vibration, and that it gets lousy mileage. I've also been told that the 700 is just as fast as the 800, and is a very solid motor with a lot better mileage. I'm asking because the price difference between the two is so little, the insurance is no different, and I always like to get the fastest sled that is available from Polaris, but not if it is a problem.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If your looking at getting the fastest Polaris sled, none of those are it. You should be looking at the 2000-2003 XCR 800 triple/triple.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 800's can be a relialble sled, just keep them jetted properly. Gas milage isn't bad on the 800's, the 2001 700 used extreme amounts amounts of gas. My '01 800 will go 115 miles on a tank of gas and my friends '01 700 will go 90 miles. Polaris had a mid year model in '01 for the 700 because the gas milage sucked. Anything after '01 gets better gas milage (VES 800 & 700).
Just remember if you are buying in the 800 or 700 class it's milage you are looking for!!
4300 extremley happy miles on my '01 800

MY $0.02
Jason

·
Registered
777 Posts
02 700 xcsp ,excellent performer ,all stock,the difference in power is miniscual between 7 and 8,s

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
10 horse is 10 horse! If you get the seven, more than likely next year you'll want an eight... As for crank problems on the eight, it was either 00 or 01 (not both) that had issues...I'm leaning towards the 2000 though....

·
Registered
128 Posts
comon boys my 700 rmk running flat ground will go exactly 125 miles on a tank 135x1 3/4 1999 faithfully mind you thats whith a gerry can on the the back just in case!my favorite spot is 62 miles away and i have done this several times i now have to go look for my bible so as i can swear to this! nite boys![:D]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Have talked to an honest dealer, and he told me the same as you did. Power difference and mileage difference isn't an issue. He did say that the 800 has caused more warranty problems than the 700 by a fair little bit. He says that is why Polaris is using DET this year on 700's and 800's. Supposedly the 800 has an ongoing problem with quality control about combustion chamber volume. Some engines have too small of combustion chambers, and some motors have two different sized chambers leading to detonation and piston trashing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey RXL, any feedback on the 800 crank issue? A buddy of mine has the same concern and is a little worried about his 2000.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I heard that the 02 800's are having some bearing probs also...[V]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah SXViper, dealer said he had seen a few bad cranks, but it was traced to poorly matched crankcase halves putting pressure on crankshaft. He said they have the cases carefully checked and machined for straight bearing bores and flat faces, and the problem vanishes. He said it also seemed to make the 800 run a lot stronger after this was done. If your friends cases are straight, and true he should have no problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the info. . . I shall pass it on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts