Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

As is usually the case, I overestimated my engine damage before I tore her down. Originally I figured I was looking at a new rod and crank bearings, but its only the Mag piston that burned up really bad.

However, the cylinder is scored really bad too, even after a good honing you can catch your fingernail in the grooves. So, as I understand it, I'll either need to get it re-sleeved or cleaned up and re-nikasiled. Would the re-sleeved cylinder then be an Iron bore, not nikasil coated?? This a '98 Big Block 600 twin.

I'm assuming that either one of those is really labor intensive, so I'm looking at other options. 700 cylinders seem pretty available, so I'm considering picking up a set of them, and SLP heads, and new pistons.

Will the 700 parts bolt right on (non VES parts? Also what kind of $$$ are we looking at to re-sleeve or re-nikasil. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
From what i've heard it costs about $150-170 to strip, plate and hone a cylinder.

I'm not sure if those cylinders are interchangable, but doing a 700 is a good idea. I'm sure somebody here can help.

This is one of many places that can replate.
http://www.usnicom.com/flash.html

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the info and the link MegaMan. Does anyone have any more input??

Depending on the $$$ of the 700 cylinders, its looking like that for an additional $350 above the cost of fixing it as a 600, I can make it a 700 and add about 20hp. Not bad, compared to the cost of V-force reeds...

·
Registered
128 Posts
700 jugs fit onto a 600 and i believe but aint sure so does the head. god luck and hang on because you wont believe the difference[:D]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock heads from the 600 will fit the 700 cylinders too?? Wow that would be awesome!!

Hopefully I can get that deal together, the 600 hits harder in the mid range than any other sled that I've ridden, except for the '01 XC800 (Non VES). The newer VES motors seem smoother and not as much of animals in the mid range. I love getting my arms ripped out!! Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts