Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 XCR. I just put a big bore 800 kit in it. I put bored 38 mm carbs to 39.5mm carbs on it also. The primary clutch has a blue spring with 58 weights and the secondary has a blue spring with a 50/36 helix in it. When it is on the stand it will run like a raped ape. It will rev up to 8800 rpm. when i go to ride it and when i give it full throttle it will studder real bad and then go and then it will on rev up to 7500 rpm. I'm really confused. I talk to some of other polaris people and they say it is electrical and some say its my fuel pump. I don't know. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks
chad

chad depinet

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fuel pump is a good thing to check, you can rig 2 together if you jets add up to over 1060. BE SURE IT"S NOT YOUR MAIN JETS! Check your spark plugs, look for too much white. Electrical is not likely, especially if you never had a problem with your electrical before you installed the kit.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
OK heres a few things that come to mind, Not enough air getting through the air box. wrong size exhaust pipes, carb setup especially syncronization, most engines over 150 hp need 60g plus weights and i like the almond spring, dirty fuel filter and binding in the drive line (clutchs, track ect.) If you tell us what the plugs look like after a trial run (do you know how to do a main jet shut down check) then we will be able to tell you more.

Go get a new sled for your spouse.....It will be a fair trade :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey..

Is this the HTG iron bore 800? Is this the setup they recommend for clutching? it almost sounds likes it's loading up too fast.

When in Doubt, gas it

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I had a similar problem with my XLT.....on the jack stand it would spool up just fine, but as soon as I took it down to ride, I was only getting a top speed of about 50 mph.

Come to find out, the last time I had cleaned the carbs, I didn't hook up one of the throttle cables well enough to the slide in the carb....it came undone, so only two of the carbs were opening. Hooked the third throttle cable back up and problem was solved. I'd check this first.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts